Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Batter for Fish

Posted by IngridO 
Batter for Fish
April 05, 2016 11:47AM
We have fresh snapper from a fishing trip for tomorrow night and my partner wants good old fashioned Fish n Chips.

I was thinking of doing a Beer Batter, homemade chips and a lemon,caper and mayo sauce but wondered what others would do for Battered Fish?

Beer Batter
1 ½ cups self-raising flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 bottle beer
Re: Batter for Fish
April 05, 2016 09:33PM
I always use John Torode's Tempura batter recipe , if you Google, you will find it. It is always light and crisp.

To make a cheats Tartare sauce I dice gherkins up and add to sour cream with lemon wedges on the side.

Cheers,

Beverley
April 10, 2016 06:35AM
I googled for the batter recipe but didnt get a result from the BBC recipes for Torode just a 'no recipes' for that one - only 2 recipes from other people saying it was like his or similar (different to ea other) and nothing specific from all the links to Masterchef
April 10, 2016 07:47AM
I will send the recipe to you in a private message !

Beverley
April 10, 2016 11:16PM
I have this recipe of John Torode's that was online some time ago. It's for tempura vegetables but I daresay the tempura part of the recipe would be good for anything else you wanted to deep fry. It's rather hot,though! You could reduce or leave out the wasabi, I should think.

[goodfood.uktv.co.uk]
April 12, 2016 05:23AM
I had the most beautiful battered fish in South Africa, the batter was yellowish brown (turmeric?)and spicy, gorgeous! I wonder if somebody has a recipes?
April 13, 2016 12:16AM
Dodunskiwiid, I doubt if it was particularly a typical South African dish and suggest you try adding one or two spices to your favourite batter recipe to see if you can replicate the flavour. Try, as you say, turmeric but also add a bit of cumin.
April 13, 2016 12:41AM
Hi everyone I have just joined. I love the questions and posts on here.

I sometimes add some parsley and lemon pepper to boost flavour of a store bought fish...for fresh snapper I just add the lemon pepper. Always get rave reviews, works well in a breadcrumb too. You can add quite a bit as quite mild...don't add in any additional salt until you taste it cooked as the lemon pepper has some in it.

I have used tumeric as well before....it adds a nice golden colour. Goes nicely in a beer batter!

Enjoy the fresh snapper!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2016 12:42AM by Mjsimmons2006.
April 13, 2016 10:27AM
Hi everyone I have just joined. I love cooking. I love questions and post on here.
I like batter for fish . I think yours cooking is very nice .I love it.
April 14, 2016 01:52AM
Simple batter
1 cup flour
1 cup water
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp white vinegar
Mix flour and water then add baking soda, pour vinegar over baking soda to foam and then mix in

My husband is a keen sea fisherman and I use this recipe all the time.
Sometime add 1/2 tsp oil at the end as someone once told me that it makes a batter crisper but I'm not sure about this.

Margaret@faheyregal
April 14, 2016 02:03AM
I can vouch for your recipe Margaret. That's the one I use, passed on from my Mother. Still the same ingredients, method a little different. The baking soda and flour are mixed with water, and then the teaspoon of vinegar added. Not sure whether the method would make any difference, but I must try your suggestion of adding oil.
Regards,
Dawn.
May 02, 2016 07:00AM
Faheyregal and Dawn your batter sounds great. Do you mix it and then leave to rest or do you need to use straight away?Also do you dust your fish with flour before you put it in the batter or is it straight into batter? Thanks.
May 02, 2016 07:22AM
Yes, I dust fish fillets with self-raising flour first, but you can use plain flour and sometimes I dip the fish in milk then flour, then batter. It is better mixed and then left to sit, but don't stir it after you have let it sit. If time is running short I have also mixed the batter and used it straight away and find it is still very good. We had freshly caught fish done in this batter a couple of nights ago and I jolly well forgot to add the teaspoon of oil as suggested by Margaret.
Regards,
Dawn.
May 02, 2016 08:28AM
Thanks Dawn doing it now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.