Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Freezing Feijoas

Posted by Vanessa 
Freezing Feijoas
April 06, 2016 06:10AM
I cant stand the fruit BUT a friend asked me recently how to freeze an excess of Feijoas?
I suggested a puree and in resealable plastic bags but Im sure you guys have tried and tested ways?

What are her options?

Vanessa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2016 12:51PM by helen.
Re: Freezing Feijoas
April 06, 2016 06:44AM
I freeze them cooked or raw. I either peel them or cut them in half and scoop out the insides. It really depends on how much time and how many I have piling up. I don't puree them but that would work too, depending on how you were going to use them.

Containers: My preferred way is to place a plastic bag into a square plastic container and once frozen I pull out the plastic bag and place that directly into the freezer. I don't have a large deep freezer and that is one way I can utilize the space. Alternatively, if I have plenty of freezer safe containers I will often use those.

We seem to either like feijoas or dislike them. I am one who does like them. A friend who loves them, lives in the Otago region and always complains about the cost of them in the supermarkets there.
April 08, 2016 12:04AM
A couple of weeks ago, one of our supermarkets, Countdown I think, had them for $12.50kg which is criminal.
I should add that I am on the Coromandel Peninsula and feijoas have been in abundance since early March, so no shortage here. My two little bushes, 2 years old, produced their first crop this year and while it wasn't a heavy crop, the fruit were long and fat with a lovely sweet yet tangy flavour. Yum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2016 12:09AM by Lorna.
April 08, 2016 12:12AM
Vanessa, this is my 'go to' recipe when I ever have enough feijoas to freeze: [www.feijoa.co.nz] With this recipe you can thaw and eat them as is and they are just lovely as if you were eating them just off the tree! I add a lot more feijoa flesh to the syrup measurement they give, and if the quantity of sugar is a problem to you I'm sure you could cut back on that if you wanted to. Instead of using lemon juice to avoid browning I make sure all the air is squeezed out of the plastic bag I freeze them in.
Regards,
Dawn.
April 10, 2016 07:07AM
In my experience, when flesh is frozen, it tends to come out a n unappetizing browny colour. OK hidden with apple in a crumble of a cake i guess.
April 10, 2016 07:49AM
Thanks Dawn, just passed that on to my daughter whose family love them and there are heaps on the ground.Marnie thank you also

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2016 07:55AM by marylew.
April 11, 2016 06:52AM
Maryloo, browning doesn't happen when I do them.........it may be due to the cooked syrup the raw feijoa slices are put into which contains custard powder.

Marylew - I would recommend that your sister does include the lemon juice to be on the safe side.
Regards,
Dawn.
April 11, 2016 10:16AM
I must add that mine don't turn brown, either. They possibly would if they aren't either frozen or cooked immediately after being peeled or cut open. Plus, as Dawn mentioned, the lemon juice works, too.
April 12, 2016 01:31AM
Thanks guys, Ive passed on the information and encouraged her to join Foodlovers!
Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.