Best place to buy vanilla pods
April 04, 2017 11:34AM
My homemade vanilla extract is nearing the end of the bottle. I made it a year or two ago with a 1.5 litre bottle of vodka.

I need to buy some vanilla pods to start another brew but wondering if anyone can suggest where to buy them at a reasonable price?

I don't need the A grade type that sell for $10 or so for 3 pods but looking for lesser quality and more of them.

Any thoughts?
Re: Best place to buy vanilla pods
April 04, 2017 01:09PM
I am in a similar situation. I got my last lot through TradeMe but they only seem to have expensive heilala pods at the moment.
April 04, 2017 11:08PM
I bought three pods in Tahiti last month (the weight is 12g), and the price was approx. $NZ14... Heilala (their website) for 15g is $25. My purchase was for the exact same reason Helen - to start off a new batch with vodka
April 04, 2017 11:34PM
I have bought mine on Trade Me from a trader based on the Hibiscus Coast, lovely product, well priced. He also sells lovely cocoa.
April 05, 2017 03:35AM
I have just bought 10 vanilla pods from Leena Spices.
They were $3.50 each but currently are offering 30% discount.

Yay I can now get on with vanilla extract.
April 05, 2017 04:37AM
And for anyone wondering how to make their own vanilla extract it is this simple.
Making Vanilla Extract.
April 05, 2017 06:56AM
I have bought from the it sounds like the same person as Margaret. Trademe seller willyow in Orewa - but he doesn't seem to have vanilla right now. I last got some in January 2016, 10 pods for $17.50 and they were of perfectly good quality to make extract. I think I put about 15 or so in a litre of vodka.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2017 06:57AM by Jenna.
April 05, 2017 11:49PM
Is there any way to use the vanilla pods once the flavour has been extracted? Could they be used again but with a lot less vodka than the first time? Or are they only good for compost?
April 05, 2017 11:53PM
Lorna I don't know the answer to that. I actually topped the bottle up with some vodka a few weeks ago as it was getting dangerously low and it seems to have maintained a good strong vanilla aroma.
April 06, 2017 01:33AM
I don't think the beans in my bottle are good for anything. I split and scrape them before putting in the vodka though, so after they've been in there a year or so they're pretty much spent.
April 06, 2017 10:49AM
You could try drying them out and adding to sugar to make a vanilla sugar for putting over fruit, or using in baking.
April 07, 2017 02:17AM
Is the place you got them from online only. I went to the site and could not find a physical location?
April 07, 2017 02:34AM
Plates do you mean Leena Spices If so then yes I ordered mine online.
They have been sent but haven't arrived yet. Will let you know what I think when I get them.
April 07, 2017 06:15AM
Yes, I meant Leenas. I misunderstood an earlier post to mean you had acquired them physically. Please give feedback as I also do the vodka/beans thing.
adw
April 11, 2017 01:54AM
I cheat and use the vanilla paste from Koefaga Vanilla (www.vanilla4cooking.nz), they sell pods too. Their pods are organic from Niue. I find stirring it into stewed rubarb wonderful.
April 11, 2017 03:58AM
The verdict on Leena's vanilla pods is that they are dry and leathery. If I was buying them for anything else I would be disappointed and if I had paid full price I would have been so as well. $3.50 per pod seems a lot for something that is definitely inferior in quality. Your thoughts?
April 11, 2017 04:28AM
I agree that $3.50 is a lot for a poor quality product. The pods I bought for $1.75 each were long, soft, plump and shiny.

Even the Equagold 4-pack (in a glass test tube) that I bought once from New World was cheaper than $3.50/ea and they were perfectly good pods. I see the Equagold website has the RRP listed as $21, but I know I didn't pay nearly that much.

[equagold.co.nz]
April 11, 2017 07:26AM
I must have a look at prices at our local NW but might wait and see what I find on my upcoming trip to Vietnam.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.