Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

BBQ Season

Posted by Vanessa45 
BBQ Season
September 23, 2017 07:29AM
So what are your winner BBQ dishes?

Im cooking a roast chicken tonight on the Webber, sprinkled with roast vegetable seasoning and cajun spices.
We will be serving it with a crunchy pumpkin seed coleslaw with thai peanut dressing.

Salad
(whatever ratios you like)
Pumpkin seeds
Green cabbage, shredded
Carrots, grated
Spring Onion

Dressing (Blitz in the food processor)
1/4 cup of honey
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
1 tablespoon of fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Sometimes I add chopped chilli the finger smiley

Bring on SUMMER ;-)
Vanessa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2017 07:31AM by Vanessa45.
Re: BBQ Season
September 23, 2017 08:31AM
We use the Weber all year round. Our favourite barbecued thing is a butterflied leg of lamb, marinated in kefir, Ras al Hanout and olive oil. It takes only about 25 minutes plus resting to cook to medium rare and is totally delicious.

Second favourite is a thick T-Bone steak, brushed with olive oil and cooked to medium rare, served with miso butter or blue cheese or tarragon butter.
September 23, 2017 08:47AM
My go to is butterflied leg of lamb marinated in lemon, garlic and rosemary, with a warm potato, lemon and pea salad and at this time of the year some chargrilled asparagus.

Or we do a buttermilk and herb marinated butterflied chicken, a green salad (often with some haloumi cooked on the bbq) amd some kind of pasta/rice/quinoa/tabouli type salad.
September 23, 2017 09:17AM
Do you guys butterfly your own leg of lamb or buy it like that? Im assuming it makes for quicker and more even cooking?
Im also assuming its boneless?

Haloumi cooked on the BBQ would be fantastic - once again, assuming its on the flat hotplate rather the the slotted grill?

Vanessa
September 23, 2017 10:13AM
Yes, I butterfly my own lamb and chicken, it's not a difficult skill to learn, I learnt from a butcher but you can download YouTube vids that show you how. The lamb is boneless but the chicken has bone in, but it does make for easier handling, quicker and more even cooking and easier carving.

Yes, haloumi on the flat plate, try it marinated in lemon, grain mustard, mint and some oil. It only takes a few minutes, put it on top of a rocket salad, with pomegranate arils, chopped fresh dates and some fresh mint chopped through, and a lemon/oil vinaigrette.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2017 10:14AM by Griz.
September 23, 2017 12:03PM
Yes, butterflied lamb leg is boneless and more or less the same thickness all over. I know how to butterfly the lamb but lately we've found a butcher who provides beautiful young lamb butterflies perfectly butchered ( a lot neater than my efforts) so we pay the extra for the quality and convenience. It's not that hard to do though, and the bones make a lovely lamb stock which can be frozen for use in soups and casseroles.
October 04, 2017 07:01AM
Thanks guys, my mouth is watering.

A funny conversation with my 5year old. He for some strange reason kept asking for some lamb to eat. I had some tender pieces in my freezer so quickly pan fried it for him with rosemary and garlic and he ate the lot.

He then asked me if he'd just eaten a cute baby lamb LOL, I had to answer honestly and said YES.
I think taste got the better of him as he was ok with the answer. ;-)

Vanessa
J1
October 04, 2017 12:50PM
Well, he was probably thinking of lambs that look like this [www.radionz.co.nz]

whereas, at slaughter age, they generally look more like this (what we think of as sheep...) [www.sheepcentral.com]
October 14, 2017 12:52PM
Yeah he would have been thinking cute newborn lambs but I guess to a kid really making that connection between alive and cute looking and meat on the plate is a pretty big deal.

Even more so growing up in a world of so much packaged and prepared food.
Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.