Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Bacon Bones/hock

Posted by Vanessa45 
Bacon Bones/hock
October 04, 2017 07:06AM
I love boiling these up (prefer the hock) for a hearty ham and pea soup or a rosemary lentil and bacon soup. The problem is my kids HATE the smell of the bones boiling away. I mentioned it to my mum and she agreed, it wasnt an appealing smell.
My oldest hides upstairs with his door shut and windows open. This is the ONLY thing they both cant stand.

Am I alone with this problem?

I do remember an Irish friend of mine saying it smelt like being POOR - bacon bones and cabbage in a pot!
My kids have no memory of poverty so its purely just an up appealing smell to them.

Vanessa
Re: Bacon Bones/hock
October 04, 2017 10:09AM
I don't like the smell, so don't use them. That and the smell of cooking mushrooms, can't stand that either!
October 04, 2017 11:19AM
Perhaps don't boil bacon bones, slow cook them. Do you have a crockpot? They could cook on low setting over night or longer if you wish (with a piece of foil or baking paper under the lid). Plug the crockpot into a power point your laundry and keep the door shut (but only if your laundry is a room of it's own) or even use your garage to isolate any unappealing smell. Takes longer?: yes: but might put paid to complaints of the smell.

If no crockpot, oven cook them at a very low temperature over night, or boil them as you normally do if you are at home when the kids are at school and keep windows open to let the smell escape and let fresh air in.

Just some thoughts, because if there is a will, there is a way in my house!winking smiley
Regards,
Dawn
October 11, 2017 10:26PM
Thanks Dawn, some good ideas. I didnt really think of other ways to cook them. I use the broth for my soup so I might try the oven method - low and slow and keep the door closed.

Im at work when the kids are at school so thats not an option and LOL my laundry is a small cupboard very close to my kitchen so although I use it for storing dry goods and boiling the jug, its not really an option for boiling bacon bones.

The funny thing is, I dont mind the smell at all and LOVE the soup ;-)

Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.