Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Eataly

Posted by Vanessa45 
Eataly
October 11, 2017 10:37PM
Has anyone been to an Eataly before? There are 30 franchises around the world, Ive never been or even heard of it until now.

The forthcoming Italian food fantasyland serves up pasta, wine, workshops, rides—and adult-sized tricycles.

When it opens its doors on November 15, FICO Eataly World will be unlike anything the food arena has ever seen: As part of the sprawling, 20-acre complex in Bologna, Italy, there will be 108,000 square feet of orchards, pastures, and gardens; six rides; 40 workshops; and 25 restaurants and food stalls from which to pick your pizza, pasta, and polenta.

Adding to the grown-up theme park vibe, there will be 500 adult-sized tricycles with shopping baskets, designed especially for the complex by celebrated Italian bike makers Bianchi.

Initially I thought how cool but then thought maybe they were americanising Italy?

I loved all the small trattorias, with all their quirks. I cant say I ate amazing Italian food but was travelling on a budget. I did LOVE the selections at delis and cafes/cake shops however.

Heres the link from Conde Nast Traveller
[www.cntraveler.com]

Vanessa
Re: Eataly
October 11, 2017 11:10PM
Ha! I have just booked customers to stay in Bologna for the 11th to 13th November - and that goes someway towards explaining why I had trouble sourcing accommodation!

But in answer to your question - no, never heard of it before
October 11, 2017 11:52PM
Americanising? Infantilising by the sounds of it. Sounds ghastly.
October 12, 2017 02:00PM
What doesn't appeal TPANDAV? Apart from the bikes I think it sounds like a very interesting and informative place.
October 12, 2017 11:05PM
I'm with TPANDAV!
October 13, 2017 12:29AM
Griz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What doesn't appeal TPANDAV?

For a start, "Fantasyland" and "grown-up theme park vibe".

Italy's food culture has a long and honourable tradition and it is easy to find authentic and delicious traditional food almost anywhere, even in supermarkets. There is more to Italian food than pizza and pasta. I am repelled by the idea of dumbing it down and creating a Disneyland-style theme park which will most likely ruin the trade of many genuine eateries and food retailers.
October 13, 2017 08:27AM
I've briefly been inside the one in New York (it's a Nosh-style collection of stuff in one place). To be honest I was puzzled by it. I think Italian food is very approachable and doesn't need explaining or putting into a more familiar context, and that's what Eataly felt like - Italy for the timid.
November 17, 2017 08:16AM
On an MSC Cruise ship we enjoyed a beautiful meal in the Eataly Restaurant. I am the proud owner of one of their aprons.

Kind Regards

Anne Sutherland
November 18, 2017 10:49AM
Here's a review. [www.theguardian.com]
DK
November 25, 2017 07:45PM
I can see the appeal but I'm slightly horrified. It's a great way to for tourists to access food from all over Italy without having to travel to different regions. However, one of the big appeals of food for me is the regionality. It's also good for tourists who are intimidated by going into little local shops and might otherwise just stick to supermarkets, but then you wonder if those people would be interested in food enough to go to a food 'theme park'.

If I were travelling in the area I'd definitely go there because the concept is fascinating and the museum/education aspect appeals.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2017 07:49PM by DK.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.