Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Where to buy Herbes de Provence in Akl?

Posted by DK 
DK
Where to buy Herbes de Provence in Akl?
December 19, 2017 07:32PM
Has anyone seen herbes de Provence in their travels in Auckland? I'm sure I got my last lot at Sabato but I couldn't find any when I was there on the weekend. There are a few online suppliers who have it but I don't really want to pay the courier fee.
Re: Where to buy Herbes de Provence in Akl?
December 19, 2017 08:55PM
I see The Spice Trader brand does one. Here is a link to their stockists on Auckland. You could at least then call the shop and check before setting out.

[www.thespicetrader.co.nz]
December 19, 2017 10:56PM
I bought mine locally in New World - MasterFoods brand, in the larger size bottle. I have also seen it in Countdown: Mrs Rogers brand in the small brown packets.
December 20, 2017 12:59AM
The problem with the Mrs Rogers brand is that it doesn't have lavender flowers, which I believe is a key ingredient. Possibly why it calls itself French Herbs rather than Herbs de Provence.

I only know this because I was looking for the same thing a couple of years ago smiling smiley
DK
December 23, 2017 08:06PM
@Jenna - yes, I believe true herbes de Provence has lavender and that's what I'm looking for. I'll phone around the Spice Trader stockists because I think that's the brand I got last time.
January 23, 2018 07:15AM
You could totally grind your own?

Grind rosemary and fennel seed in a spice grinder; transfer to a mixing bowl. Stir thyme, basil, marjoram, lavender, parsley, oregano, tarragon, and bay powder with the rosemary and fennel. Store in an air-tight container between uses.

I wonder if you could dry your own lavender? Its all around the streets so should be easy to find...

Vanessa
DK
January 30, 2018 08:08AM
@Vanessa, I thought of mixing my own but this horrid heat has left me feeling very unmotivated to make anything, even the.simplest of things.

I ended up going to Farro and buying a bag of herbes de Provence (rosemary, savory, oregano, marjoram, basil, and thyme in varying proportions) and a packet of culinary lavender and mixing the two together to my own unscientifically-formulated ratios. It's utterly delicious and I'm really pleased with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 08:23AM by DK.
January 30, 2018 10:58PM
What a good idea buying the lavender separately as I found the taste in the jar I bought too strong for my taste.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.