Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

I'm after a recipe for skordalia

Posted by Janet or Emma 
I'm after a recipe for skordalia
January 19, 2018 06:05AM
I had the most delicious dip at a Greek restaurant, and was told it was skordalia. I duly googled a recipe and tried making it. All the recipes I found were done in a whizz, which made the potato very gluey. Does anyone have a recipe for the potato version of skordalia that is not gluey? I'm wondering about using a ricer instead of a whizz, as I don't remember the original having the same heavy texture. Thanks, Janet
Re: I'm after a recipe for skordalia
January 19, 2018 10:25PM
This website explains why the potato goes 'gluggy' and how to avoid it. It uses a ricer and also dries the cooked potato for a few minutes in the oven. Sounds good to me, though I haven't tried it. Thinking about it, I should give it a go, I'm always on the lookout for easy tasty dishes.

[www.seriouseats.com]
January 20, 2018 01:34AM
Good find. Thanks. I shall try again. Interesting comment about the garlic too, as the recipe I used had 5 cloves of garlic in. I used 4. They weren't huge, but not tiny either, and it was so spicy, I had to cook up another batch without the garlic and mix them together. In retrospect. I should have just dumped it. The one I had in Darwin was deliciously garlicy. Cheers, Janet
January 20, 2018 08:42AM
Also look closely at your potatoes, I'd use Agria or Rua for this recipe, most definitely not the revolting Nadine, or any of the new varieties like Jersey Bennes, they're too waxy, and will always turn gluey when mashed.
January 20, 2018 10:23PM
I agree with you, Griz, about Nadine being revolting. I won't buy them under any circumstances. If I need potatoes and the variety is not prominently displayed, I don't buy.
January 23, 2018 05:33AM
This is the recipe I use. Skordalia is also made using bread as the base but I don't do that.

Potato Skordalia

5 cloves garlic
salt
2 baking potatoes - baked
1 – 2 tsp red wine vinegar
150 ml olive oil

Pound garlic & salt to a paste. Scoop out potato flesh, add garlic and vinegar. Gradually add oil until light and fluffy.

Serve with baked beetroot, fish.
January 23, 2018 10:25AM
Thanks for all the help, Janet
January 23, 2018 01:43PM
Let us know how you get on, Janet or Emma.

Once you've managed that, I reckon this is the next thing to try.

[www.seriouseats.com]

I'd love to do this soon.
January 23, 2018 10:20PM
I love Aligot - and do it just occasionally in winter to serve with beef cheeks. Too wicked to do often. I promise myself that I will do a 'proper' cassoulet in winter too.
January 26, 2018 08:14AM
Haha, Griz. I'm truly Irish! I love mashed potatoes, and had a lovely time in Ireland having huge servings of delicious mash. That recipe looks gorgeous, but could I resist going back for seconds? Dangerous. Janet
January 26, 2018 08:26AM
I was reading something about skordalia the other day and it specifically mentioned using the potatoes while they were still hot, rather than letting them cool as that'll make the mash gluey...just another tip.
January 28, 2018 06:41AM
Cheers!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.