Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Rapeseed Oil

Posted by amwilliams 
Rapeseed Oil
February 01, 2018 09:45AM
I have just watched the TV programme called Eat Well for Less and they were talking about rapeseed oil.
Does anyone use it and which supermarkets stock it? Can't say I have seen it - I usually use Olive Oil.
Re: Rapeseed Oil
February 01, 2018 03:18PM
Rapeseed is what we know as canola, so it's easy to find!smiling smiley
February 01, 2018 08:25PM
The 'theory' is that Olive Oil, apart from being expensive, does not tolerate the heat before it begins to degrade (the smoke point) and then tastes bitter when used for cooking. Use canola for cooking and keep your lovely, expensive EVOO for salads etc, where no, or very low, heat is applied.

I would like to know what Italians, and other Mediterranean countries use for cooking. Do they agree with this theory or do they use Olive Oil exclusively, seeing as it's just about a national obsession with many of those countries, and is, of course, very cheap (unless you're buying a can of it from a tourist-type venue!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 08:28PM by Lorna.
February 01, 2018 09:01PM
In my experience of household cooking in Spain and Italy olive oil is used for just about everything, apart from the occasional use of sunflower oil for deep frying.

I’ve used olive oil for deep frying and it was fine, the only drawback being the expense.
February 01, 2018 11:20PM
Regular olive oil is fine for pan frying, it has a higher smoking point than extra virgin olive oil.
February 02, 2018 12:13AM
I've started buying an Australian olive oil, Cobram Estate, and it comes with a neck tag stating it is well suited for high heat frying as it has a high smoke point. Prior to reading that, I too had worked on the assumption that EVOO was not a good high head oil.

Out of interest, here is their webpage talking about this very thing. They go into a lot of depth and length about this issue!

Contrary to unsubstantiated popular myths, Cobram Estate Extra Virgin olive Oil (EVOO) is an excellent choice for cooking. Cobram Estate EVOO has a smoke point well above the standard temperatures required for cooking, and its resistance to oxidation is higher than most cooking oils due to the antioxidant and mono-unsaturated fat content. Therefore, it is ideal for both hot and cold cooking and there is less chance that harmful substances will be formed upon the application of heat, through cooking. Furthermore, although the heating process will reduce the natural antioxidant content of EVOO, there is scientific evidence to demonstrate that a substantial amount of antioxidants can still be found in the prepared meal. (5,6)

[health.cobramestate.com.au]
February 02, 2018 03:11AM
I understand that avocado oil has a higher smoke point than olive oil, although with its distinctive flavour it probably isn't as versatile.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
February 02, 2018 08:35PM
Jenna, I've been buying the Cobram Estate EVOO for a while now (from Countdown), not only for the flavour but I just love the collapsible pouring tube in the neck. I never get any oil running down the side of the bottle.

I thought I would be clever and remove the pouring tube when I finished the first bottle I bought, and use it in my bottle of canola. However, once I removed the tube, it's evident that it quite a complex little contraption with a spring and other bits that I just couldn't fit back together again once I got it out of the original bottle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 08:37PM by Lorna.
February 02, 2018 09:03PM
I love that spout too, and the flavour of the oil, and it's not a budget busting price smiling smiley It's so nice not having a ring of oil in the pantry where the bottle sits... The little things in life!
February 03, 2018 10:16PM
On the subject of rings on pantry shelves, all my bottles of sauces, vinegars and oils sit in 2ltr ice cream containers with a folded up kitchen paper towel in the bottom. That way, not only do I protect my shelves, but the bottles stay tidy, and as I put each type of content together, they are easy to find. Each ice cream container is just the right size for 3, 4 or 5 bottles, depending on their size and I change the paper towels as necessary.
February 10, 2018 02:19AM
I have a sheet of glass in my pantry that messy bottles sit on - easily washed - and some tiles out of a "free" bin at a local tilers on my bench for the ones that sit on my bench. Same thing. Way easier to clean than the sticky mess on the bench.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.