Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Silicon muffin tins or metal?

Posted by Janet or Emma 
Silicon muffin tins or metal?
February 11, 2018 05:30AM
My Texas muffin tins have finally decided they are nonstick no more! I use them for making wee frittatas and that sort of thing, and chocolate lava cakes. I’m thinking silicon would be good for egg mixtures, but wondered about the lava cakes. Would they still have the cooked cake outside if cooked in silicon. Hope you know what I mean! Any suggestions? Thanks, Janet
Re: Silicon muffin tins or metal?
February 11, 2018 02:26PM
I don't know whether you've used the silicone ones before, but I ended up chucking mine out. They seemed like such a great idea non-stickwise, but they're difficult to handle as they're so floopy and you don't get that cooked outside you mention.
February 11, 2018 09:51PM
Metal is my preference as in the silicone the edges don't form any sort of crust they just almost steam cook.
I like a golden colour and a slight crust on the outside of cakes and muffins.
Like you Carolyn I have thrown the silicone out.
Bev
February 11, 2018 09:53PM
I tried silicone but also did not like them. I much prefer my metal tins.
February 11, 2018 10:04PM
I also tried silicone and went back to using metal tins.
February 11, 2018 10:05PM
Thanks, guys. That is exactly what I wondered, but thought perhaps I was missing something. Will hunt out some metal ones! Thanks, Janet
February 12, 2018 01:10AM
I agree, stick with the good old fashioned metal tins. Once I brought back from America some individual silicon heart-shaped cup-cake moulds..............useless, and the resulting cupcakes turned out no more heart-shaped than me on a flight to the moon. I even found putting the individual moulds into my metal muffin tins made no difference in helping to give support in maintaining the heart shape nor the cooking...............as Helen states, they almost steam cook!

In fact, if anyone would like 12 almost brand new heart shaped cupcake moulds I will happily post them on and cheerfully be rid of them. Someone may think of some weird and wonderful use for them! (Picture attached).
Regards,
Dawn.
Attachments:
open | download - P1120138.jpg silicon cupcake moulds.jpg (170.5 KB)
February 12, 2018 01:36AM
Dawn, instead of using them for cupcakes, I would use them for individual desserts - mousse, jelly, ice cream, that sort of thing smiling smiley
February 12, 2018 01:38AM
Dawn - could you use those moulds for jellies. I think they look too big for chocolate, which was my other thought. Or panacotta/brulee type desserts - not sure if any of these ideas would set into the shape of a heart however?
February 12, 2018 03:08AM
Thanks for your ingenious ideas Lynette and Irene! I agree they would be good to go with all you've both suggested. It's the rising and expansion of the cupcake batter when cooking which throw them out of shape. (Although, thinking about it, the bottom of the cupcake would probably resemble a heart shape much more than the top when cooked maybe. (I can't remember when I originally used them what shape the cupcake bottoms looked like!!)

I've decided I am wanting to be rid of them (give-away) and I thought that someone else could use them. Keep the ideas flowing though - it might induce someone to claim them ha! winking smiley

I've Googled and there are lots of 'good' reviews. A lot of people use them as lunchbox compartments and put a boiled egg in one mould and mandarin segments in another etc. etc. [www.amazon.com]
Regards,
Dawn.
February 12, 2018 03:36AM
Just laughing at how us two blisters almost posted at the same time, very comparable ideas!!
February 12, 2018 04:06AM
.............and two lovely blisters if I may say so! Great minds think alike!
D.x
February 12, 2018 05:11AM
Haha - that is funny grinning smiley
I would also suggest that maybe they would be good for butterfly cakes, where you chop off the top layer and you would have a cute little butterfly body to put the wings onto?
February 12, 2018 05:21AM
Oh wow, you girls are very creative - a very cute cake-butterfly idea! ~ think I must be sitting on my creativity ~
D.
February 12, 2018 05:26AM
I'd make a Valentine's Day tree with a cherry tree branch and hang these on with threads and pop a truffle inside each one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 05:27AM by Kone.
February 12, 2018 06:09AM
remember that recipe Helen had for Icecream/Chocolate/Raspberry? Lynette, you made it and it was D.I.V.I.N.E. Just to make a point! I can't remember what it was called, but if you made that in heart shapes, or if you froze ice cream into the heart shapes, and then dipped in chocolate and froze again?
Dawn, we are coming up to yours for dessert!!
If it wasn't for the fact that I really don't need to be enjoying decadent desserts, I would offer to buy these off you!!

Edited to add - I did the obvious (to 99% of the population) and did a recipe search for that Ice Cream concoction and it was a brownie. Here is the link

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 06:13AM by Irene Field.
February 12, 2018 06:22AM
Kone, I hoped you would come up with a blast of ingeniousness as well, and what a simple, yet creative idea you have! Thank you for that.thumbs up (I almost changed my mind about giving them away!)

I have skimmed through most of the reviews on the Amazon site and at a guess I'd say the majority of reviewers used the moulds in their children's lunch/bento boxes to keep individual items separated. Some use them to make heart shaped soaps and bath melts, and another for making little frozen dog treats. A few people didn't like using them for cupcakes and had a bit of bother with them sticking or leaving a layer of cupcake crumbs on the bottom.
D. x
February 12, 2018 09:15AM
Just as a side note, if anyone is having trouble with things sticking to the sides of their metal muffin tins, get yourself some commercial release spray, such as Sprink (there are other brands that are the same, I use Unilever Real Ease). Best thing on earth for all baking, nothing sticks.

They're availale frrom places like Gilmours and Moore Wilsons, or I see you can buy Sprink online smiling smiley

[www.chefscomplements.co.nz]
February 12, 2018 10:21AM
Irene, I've only just found your last post! Oh my goodness your heart shaped icecreams dipped in chocolate sounds absolutely magnifique. Your link to the recipe isn't coming up and I was going to have a wee look. Desserts are mostly off in this house for the same reason as yours Irene!!

The moulds are free............anyone? Just send me a Private Message with an address and I'll post them to you - no charge.
Regards,
Dawn.
February 12, 2018 10:51PM
Dawn, if you haven't been inspired by the suggestions everyone's given for your hearts, I'd like to give them a try. No worries if you've been inspired though. That's what this site is all about! Janet
February 12, 2018 10:54PM
Haha. Thanks for all your input. I finally found some metal ones locally - at the Warehouse for $6! I'm a bit concerned about the light coloured finish, and the ridges in the base, but my alternative was buying on line, and I found it difficult deciding which ones were Texas, so thought I'd give these a whirl. At $6 if they last a couple of years, I'll be happy. If I need to put baking paper in the base because of the ridges, I guess that's not too difficult. Thanks again, Janet
February 13, 2018 12:23AM
I would love you to have them Janet! Can you Private Message to me an address and I will put them into the post for you.
Regards,
Dawn.
February 14, 2018 01:06AM
I use a metal muffin tin but always line it with either tulip liners or fluted cupcake cases depending on what I am making.

I see that you can get both in the texas size also, Janet which would extend the life of your old tin despite having lost its non- stick mojo.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
February 14, 2018 01:28AM
Haha, Barbara Anne. Thanks for the suggestion. I did try again with the fluted liners, but I couldn't fill the tins as full, and I really hate taking them off as they seem to have half the contents stuck to them. Although the three that sat in the fridge overnight peeled easily. I was cross, so binned them. Haven't tried the new ones though, so still have my fingers crossed. Thanks, Janet
February 28, 2018 01:11AM
I have given all my silicone bakeware to a Charity shop as I found it totally useless! However did it get on the market?? I found the cake "tins" too floppy; my baking did not turn out well despite using recipes I have had for years; hard to take out of the oven as floppy and I was afraid of dropping the baking.
February 28, 2018 07:36AM
I have had trouble for years with non-stick muffin pans losing their non-stick qualities, and I really like using my silicone muffin cups, which I place inside the cavities in the metal pans, so that they don't fall over in the oven or lose their shape. I agree with Helen that the edges don't form a crust, but this method sure beats digging the muffins out of the pans (which always involved leaving some behind) and then spending far too long cleaning the pans afterwards.
February 28, 2018 09:39AM
Crikey I seem to be the only one that LOVES my silicone muffin "tins". I got very good quality ones years ago and love how easy they are to get the muffins out and also to clean. Even after all these years they are as good as when I first got them. I have baking tins that fit them nicely to they are easy to handle. I have used some cheaper brands and haven't been impressed.
February 28, 2018 09:03PM
No, Cheesecake, I'm with you. I love my silicone cake pans. I always put them on a baking tray so no trouble putting in and taking out of the oven. They hold their shape. I've got a large square one, two ring 'tins', two sets of Texas muffin pans, which I've cut in half so that I can also use them in my bench top oven and microwave oven. I don't bake cakes in the microwave, but the muffin pans are great for making those bacon and egg cups with cheese on top when I want a quick lunch. And I've got a set of fairy cake silicone cups, but they don't get much use these days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2018 09:04PM by Lorna.
March 12, 2018 12:39AM
Lorna, I've never made bacon and egg cups in the microwave. Would be much more efficient than turning on the oven. How do you do yours? How long do they take? Thanks, Janet
March 12, 2018 01:50AM
Janet, I just wind strips of bacon into a Texas muffin pan, break an egg into each (prick the yolks), grated cheese, if you want it, salt & pepper/paprika. Cover with a paper towel and microwave on medium-low until done. I can't remember how long, it's a while since I've done them, but I probably did them for 2 minutes to start with and then in sets of extra 10 seconds until done. I have cut my 12-cup silicone Texas muffin pan in half so that I can fit 6 in the microwave at once, though I usually only do 2 for my lunch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.