Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Freshly caught Snapper

Posted by IngridO 
Freshly caught Snapper
March 20, 2018 02:30AM
Freshly caught Snapper is on the menu tonight and I want to do something special as my in laws are leaving to return to the UK tomorrow.

Any suggestions for a snapper dinner? (doesn't have to be fancy! Just looking for inspiration)
What vegetables? Salad?
How should I cook it? What herbs should I use? Sauce?
Re: Freshly caught Snapper
March 20, 2018 04:19AM
Gosh, freshly caught snapper is such a treat that I don't think you need to do anything fancy with it, just let the fish speak for itself. I would simply fillet it (skin on), salt lightly and fry the fillets in butter over a medium-high heat, skin side down until the skin has browned in patches, then turn them over, turn the heat off and leave them for a few minutes to finish cooking. Lift the fish on to a warm serving dish, add some soft butter and some fresh lemon juice to the pan and swirl to combine, check seasoning and pour over fish. Appropriate herbs would be chives, tarragon, dill or parsley - whatever you have in the garden.

As for veges - something mild like buttered spinach or silver beet, and for a last taste of NZ some steamed or baked kumara, which goes well with fish. Beetroot also goes very well with fish but looks awful.

(Edited to add) An alternative would be to use good quality olive oil as the cooking medium and serve the fish with ratatouille and some potatoes sautéed in olive oil.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2018 04:21AM by TPANDAV.
March 20, 2018 09:56AM
While your dinner will have already been cooked and eaten I do like pan fried fish with currants, pine nuts, celery etc...
We had snapper last night from our local NW - it was around $35kg and the fillets not too big. We all commented how fresh and sweet the fish was.
March 20, 2018 10:38AM
I love it skin on too - scaled well and put on the BBQ served with an asian stirfry.

To be honest all I would put on it is a bit of fish sauce, finely chopped chilli, fresh lime juice, a bit of oyster sauce or soy/teriyaki and serve it sitting outside with a cold craft beer.

Serve the fish fillets or whole on top of the Asian veges. Top with lots of chopped coriander and bean sprouts.

Delicious

Vanessa
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.