Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Walnuts

Posted by helen 
Walnuts
March 26, 2018 10:53AM
I bought a few bags of walnuts from a farm gate near Queenstown. I assume they are fresh as they had bits of dirt and roughage on them.
I have eaten a couple but found them quite bitter.
My questions are, do they benefit from being left to "dry" out a bit and do they become less bitter or is that just a variety thing?
Re: Walnuts
March 27, 2018 12:01PM
Does the inner skin peel off fairly easily? If it does they are fresh, and I actually love them like that, but have an on going difference of opinion with T (who many years ago won nut of the year!) who says they must be dried on racks for a while. The bitterness does come from that inner skin.
March 28, 2018 11:05PM
> My questions are, do they benefit from being left
> to "dry" out a bit and do they become less bitter
> or is that just a variety thing?

Hello Helen, yes to both. I've found that even well cured walnuts still have a bitter edge to my taste but soaking overnight in a light brine then drying in a dehydrator really improves the flavour.
March 29, 2018 09:57PM
Thanks to you both for answers. I have them in a willow basket in a ventilated space and am turning them regularly. I think they are fresh.
March 29, 2018 11:03PM
I always find Walnuts bitter to my taste and have never liked them for this reason. My parents have a large old walnut tree but I find I'm not keen on either the very fresh ones or bought from the supermarket ready dried. I think its a matter of individual taste.
March 30, 2018 12:49AM
I have found they are only bitter when they have a bright yellow or dark skin after shelling. I throw then out immediately. But generally the creamy or beige coloured walnuts are fine.
April 13, 2018 06:32AM
In my experience, walnuts are not sweet until dried/aired fora week/maybe months after falling. They are milky and bitter when too new...horrible. They should be dry and nutty / sweet when ready. They keep for well over a year hanging in an airing sack or an airy tray. It is worth the wait.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.