Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Has anyone made pizza dough without yeast?

Posted by Vanessa45 
Has anyone made pizza dough without yeast?
April 07, 2018 06:40AM
Im out of yeast and want to make pizzas tonight and cant be bothered going back to the supermarket.
Has anyone made pizza dough with out yeast?

Vanessa
Re: Has anyone made pizza dough without yeast?
April 07, 2018 06:48AM
Vanessa, I am not not at home at the computer with my recipe folder on it. But this recipe is very similar to one I sourced from a Foodlovers contributor years ago (I Just can't remember adding milk but must have)

That hyperlink doesn't appear to work so here is the long link
[www.allrecipes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2018 06:49AM by Irene Field.
April 07, 2018 07:00AM
Great, thanks
Yes - I have everything needed, you've saved me either having a disaster or heading out again when I really cant be bothered today.
Ill let you know how it goes, it looks great though.

We are having un ethical prawns for an entree done on the BBQ with OO and garlic. The are large, in their shells and were super reasonably priced from Pac n Save.

On the pizzas we are putting hot salami, anchovies, seasoned tomato puree, cheese, olives and topped with baby rocket and served with Kaitia Fire sauce.

Vanessa
April 07, 2018 07:23AM
Back in the 70s my Mum always made pizza bases using baking powder, a scone-like dough, with a bit of dried oregano added to the mix.
Your pizzas sound yummy, and spicy.
April 07, 2018 07:56AM
The whole meal sounds lovely... re the unethical Prawns I often wonder and am most probably naive, but surely our food inspectors would know what chemicals etc are being used, and would be fairly thorough in their investigation of these food importers before allowing them to import? And re say Vietnamese Prawns, which I think is the Vannamei brand at PnS and NW ..... so if I am travelling to Vietnam, I shouldn't eat Prawns? Believe me no matter what Asian country I am in, I would freely indulge in their seafood. Because if you think there are dodgy antiobiotics being used in their seafood, that would extend to their meat as well, and then as to what they may spray their vegies with? So if you aren't going to eat it here, you surely should not eat it there, but then what would you eat?
April 07, 2018 11:51PM
hi Vanessa,
I will check for the link soon but Annabel Langbein has a pizza base recipe using Greek yoghurt, baking powder & flour. Its from her Winter Goodness book published a few years ago.
I alter the proportions as I think this is to make 8-10 individual sized pizzas for a kids party. Have fun smiling smiley

[www.annabel-langbein.com]
April 08, 2018 12:54AM
I regularly make pizza dough using just 250g SR Flour, 1 cup yoghurt, 1/4 tsp of salt and any herbs to complement the toppings to be used.

Just mix it all together and roll out into 2 pizza bases. It's quite a soft mixture. I sometimes add a bit more flour till I get a soft but not sticky dough and it always works well.

The dough can also be used for dinner rolls or naan bread. It also freezes well: roll into a ball, wrap in cling film and place in a resealable bag or Systema box. Thaw for 2-3 hours.
April 08, 2018 05:27AM
I like your thinking Irene!
We really enjoyed the prawns however because they were so large they had the vein (poo sac?) in them - do people remove that? It was fine to eat but a little gritty. It was just fiddly to remove after shelling them.

The pizza worked really well, I ended up making both non yeast pizza dough and regular as my partner decided to head out and got yeast.

I wanted to see the difference. The yeast one rose as per usual to at least double its size, the baking powder one didnt at all.
The yeast one was more elastic as well.

When cooked they both were great. The non yeast one was able to be rolled out quite thin so when cooked was crispy. The yeast one was more chewy, less crispy. It was really hard to decide what one was better!

Thanks for the great recipe, I can see how flexible and useful its going to be. Im going to use it to make calzone style mince and cheese pies next.

Vanessa
April 08, 2018 06:21AM
Vanessa45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
because they
> were so large they had the vein (poo sac?) in them
> - do people remove that? It was fine to eat but a
> little gritty. It was just fiddly to remove after
> shelling them.

That's the digestive tract and it should always be removed. To get it out cut along the length of the back of the prawn with sharp scissors, hook the tract out in one piece.
J1
April 08, 2018 10:44AM
Sharon of Foodlovers from way back contributed this yeastless pizza base recipe (which is the one Irene mentions)
1¾ cup (245g) plain flour
1 tspn baking powder
1 tspn salt
2/3rd cup milk
¼ cup oil

Mix till it comes together, then knead for 5 minutes, wrap in clingfilm and put in fridge until you need it. Makes 2 thin bases. 200°C 7-9 minutes.

I use olive oil. Also, for years, instead of putting in the 1¾ cup (245g) flour I've done 200g flour and 50g of semolina flour - either fine semolina flour or coarse semolina flour. At first, I bought the fine semolina flour available from [www.mybreadmix.co.nz] but lately I've been buying the coarse semolina flour from my local Binn Inn and the coarse makes an even better thin, crisp, strong, flavoursome base. I just keep the semolina flour indefinitely in my freezer and it's ready to use straight from the freezer.

There was also this yeastless pizza recipe in the NZ Gardener magazine years ago, attributed to Dawn Dawson of Tauranga:

Herbed Pizza base recipe

2 cups plain flour
4 tspns baking powder
½ tspn baking soda
½ tspn cream of tartar
½ tspn salt
4 tbspns oil
1 cup of milk or water
½ cup chopped parsley, or fresh oregano, or fresh thyme

Mix to a soft dough. On a floured tray roll to desired thickness. Add toppings as desired. Cook 20-30 minutes at 225°C or until golden brown.

When I made this base, I cooked it at 200°C and it was ready in 10 minutes, so be careful of the cooking instructions. It's also a good pizza base but I tend to stick with my semolina version of Sharon's.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.