Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Bread n Butter Pudding

Posted by Vanessa45 
Bread n Butter Pudding
April 17, 2018 10:17AM
First time maker of this kiwi (English?) classic dish.

I wanted to make a simple and quick dessert tonight so have opted for this - I actually had to halve the recipe as only had one egg so fingers crossed it works out ok.

Instead of currents/sultanas Ive added sliced banana.

I have it in a bain marie style bath - I have high hopes as the kids love custard and bread!

Assuming it works and is a hit, what other variations could I do?

I was thinking banana and chocolate - with croissants?
Or maybe adding berries/jam???

Vanessa

PS - Ill report back in an hour or so
Re: Bread n Butter Pudding
April 17, 2018 11:14AM
Hi Vanessa - yum! Haven't had B & B pudding for ages. My sis made a fab one a while back, with croissants, custard and marmalade.
April 18, 2018 07:16AM
*UPDATE*
So the pudding turned out good, the bananas didnt caramelise though, Im guessing because the temperature in the water bath wasnt high enough. They were floury!!!
I think I needed more bread too but with a few adaptations and maybe berries, or stewed apple Id have myself a winner dessert.
Vanessa
April 19, 2018 12:30AM
I would have thought you'd need dry heat to make something caramelise - or am I wrong? I think it's the evaporating of the minute amounts of moisture in the sugar content that causes caramelisation, much like the hot-frying of fat causes crispness of chips, etc. Using a bain marie would not allow this moisture to evaporate.
April 20, 2018 12:33AM
If you want caramelised bananas in something like this, you’d prob be best to pan fry them before adding. And as far as additions go, to a bread pudding....as long as your custard has the right proportions of egg to dairy, the sky is the limit. Croissants, brioche, fruits both fresh or dried, chocolate or caramel, sour cream, single cream, milk etc
April 20, 2018 07:17PM
Yes I would pan fry the bananas in butter and brown sugar first. You do need that direct heat to caramelise them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.