Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Freestanding oven problems - rant warning!

Posted by CarolynC 
Freestanding oven problems - rant warning!
August 11, 2018 03:24AM
Last year I had to replace my twenty year old Simpson oven as repairs were failing (it had an electrical fault nobody seemed to be able to permanently fix). When I went looking for a replacement I was shocked at the reviews. It was really hard to find a freestanding oven that had any good reviews at all. Eventually I got a Westinghouse as the reviews were quite good for it, but ugh, what a disappointment. It just doesn't seem to have enough heat - some roasted veges like butternut just never caramelise at all even when I turn the heat right up. I found I was using my Breville SmartOven benchtop oven more and more and actively avoiding using the Westinghouse - but it can't do everything as it's too small.

Then the temperature light stopped working, so I called in a service guy. I was shocked by what he told me: he was saying that these days it's simply impossible to get a good freestanding oven. The metal used is really thin and they don't use enough insulation. I'd noticed when pulling out the oven for cleaning that it was much lighter than my previous ones. He pointed out that the oven door is simply two sheets of glass and some heatproof plastic. He also said that often people complain that they can't even make a grilled cheese sandwich properly anymore in their freestanding ovens, and when he checks he find that they draw only 7 or 8 amps whereas the older ovens were more like 12 or 13.

As for what to do about it, his only advice was to replace it with a wall oven (some of which were good, he said, and some of which weren't. I guess that's an improvement!). Obviously I'm not about to do that right now having spent nearly $1800 on the last one just last year, but in any case I'm really annoyed that it's necessary. I just don't need a wall oven - they cost more and take up more room, and it's infuriating I might have to have one just to get an oven to do what it's supposed to do. How are manufacturers getting away with this? Do so few people cook now that they don't even notice the ovens are poor? It's not like they're charging any less for them than they used to.
Re: Freestanding oven problems - rant warning!
August 11, 2018 01:23PM
Interesting, Carolyn. It is years since I had a freestanding oven. I always feel I had been forced into buying a wall oven and separate cooktop and vowed that if and when I need to replace this one that I would much prefer a freestanding one. Even though it would mean some alterations to my small kitchen.
It is so disappointing when I can remember when certain brands were reliable.

Newer appliances don't always equate to better appliances. When we had some improvements to our bathroom some time ago the lady who came to give advice and take measurements said..... don't replace that bath.... It has a small light stain on it but she said it is far more solid and better quality than any new bath would be. We appreciated her advice, particularly as she could have made another sale.
August 12, 2018 12:35AM
Carolyn, if your oven is just over a year old and not performing, I am sure you would have a genuine case for Consumer Affairs? I would go back to the retailer and even if they had to replace every oven, just keep doing so!
August 12, 2018 03:15AM
Thanks, Irene - I'm currently working with the repair tech to see if he can coax better performance out of it.
August 21, 2018 08:23AM
I too have a Westinghouse oven but a wall one, it doesn’t crisp potatoes etc I think due to the steam it builds up. I have problems with the ceramic top too the heating is all wrong & I have tried since Feb to get it sorted I have had two electricians out & can’t find a problem & now they don’t want to do anything about it. I have gone directly to Electrolux who are the service people & who bring them in. Not standing by their product, right now I am very unhappy with them, it is ongoing & seems to be of no avail. I have a phone no. If you want to try them directly.
August 22, 2018 02:33AM
I have recently been through a situation with an oven as well and depending on your situation I can recommend you join Consumer NZ, (there are several joining options) because they have a consumer help line service and will advise and help you through the process. You must always go back to the place that the oven was purchased because they are the ones responsible for either repair or replacement - NOT the manufacturer directly. Even if the appliance only has a 2 or 3 year warranty it must be "fit for purpose" and will be covered for defects or lack of performance for a reasonable time (longer than 2 or 3 years). It is worth having a chat to them to find out your best course of action. It was interesting that as soon as copied the emails I had with Consumer to the retailer there was an immediate change of attitude.smiling smiley PS Mine was about 6 months out of the manufacturer warranty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2018 02:34AM by Danube.
August 22, 2018 02:48PM
Thanks, Lyn and Danube! The repair guy is coming on Friday with spare parts so I'll see how that goes, although I'm not holding out too much hope for the crisping. have thought about complaining under the Consumer Guarantees Act, but I'm not sure whether or not I can claim the oven is not fit for purpose if it's reaching the temperature it's supposed to. The repair guy is replacing the thermostat but I'm really not sure that will make much difference. I'll see what happens though before I take any further action.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2018 03:24PM by CarolynC.
August 26, 2018 03:23PM
Hi Lyn, the service guy has now visited and replaced my thermostat. I haven't tried the oven yet to see if the crisping problem has improved but I doubt it. I mentioned your problems with lack of crisping and your ceramic top problem to the service guy - he said he had seen both of those with Westinghouses and agreed with you that the steam is the problem with the crisping.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.