Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Plain Chocolate Biscuits

Posted by dr.clarke 
Plain Chocolate Biscuits
October 31, 2018 04:00AM
What do you use for a plain chocolate biscuit when making recipes such as truffles, crumb bases, fudge slice etc that say to use them? Any other suggestions than using Or---s and scrapping the icing off? TIA
Ruth
Re: Plain Chocolate Biscuits
October 31, 2018 05:44AM
I have run into this problem before too. I have decided that next time I will try adding a couple of tablespoons of good quality cocoa powder to plain vanilla biscuits before I crush or blitz them, It's really difficult to find plain chocolate biscuits here in NZ. I think Arnotts do one in Australia called chocolate Ripple.
October 31, 2018 06:41AM
I also had the same problem. On the advice of a New World supermarket employee I bought some chocolate flavoured biscuits, they were sold in a bag with Budget (or similar) name on the bag. They were for a crumb base and worked perfectly.
You are right, Danube, I often wonder why we don't seem to have plain chocolate biscuits here. I will remember your suggestion about adding good cocoa powder to plain biscuits.
October 31, 2018 10:30PM
I've used chocolate thins or chocolate digestives, seems to work.
October 31, 2018 10:52PM
I'm with Griz. Chocolate thins make a lovely cheesecake base or as part of the base for truffles, slices, etc., and also chocolate fingers.
Just about any 'plain' biscuit with a chocolate coating is OK. I wouldn't use something like the wafer-type chocolate biscuits that have layers of wafer and soft fiillings, or things like Caramello.
November 01, 2018 05:57AM
Chocolate chippies also work.
November 01, 2018 09:03AM
Tiny Teddies as karen suggested a couple of years ago, and I have always used them since then.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.