Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Bircher Muesli

Posted by Ali W 
Bircher Muesli
December 17, 2018 06:54AM
I have been making granola for ages now and feel like a change for a while.

Anyone got a nice recipe for Bircher Muesli that doesn’t involve a heap of mystery ingredients?

Thanks
Re: Bircher Muesli
December 17, 2018 07:07AM
A nutritionist gave me her recipe Ali, and I love it. I am dairy free, so I use coconut yoghurt and almond milk, but you could use the regular.

Grate 2 large peeled apples (I use Granny Smith),and cover with the juice of one lemon (I find 1/2 sufficient) Add cinnamon and ginger to your taste. Add 250g of whole grain oats, 1/4 cup sultanas, 1/4 cup currants, 1/8 cup chia seeds, 1/8 cup mixed seeds, ie pumpkin and sunflower

She then says to add 500ml milk and 500ml (2 cups) Greek Yoghurt. I found 250ml of each was enough, but just do it to taste. Mix again, cover and leave overnight.

The above is sufficient for 7 breakfasts for myself.
December 17, 2018 07:25AM
That sounds great...thanks Irene.
December 17, 2018 07:56PM
I always thought you would have to make it fresh each night for the following day. Does the apple go brown and soggy after a while?
December 17, 2018 09:07PM
No Danube - I think the lemon juice stops it browning. It is softer but not in a horrible way
December 17, 2018 10:56PM
Sounds really tasty, I'm going to give that a go this week. I like oats, but cannot stand the texture of them cooked into porridge. My LDL is creeping up (sigh, no doubt as a consequence of my fondness for butter and cheese), so I'd like to be able to get more whole grain oats into my diet.
December 18, 2018 12:18AM
I like the sound of it, too and am going to make it. Thanks Irene.

I like bircher muesli but often when I order it I am disappointed. I know it is one of those things that chefs like to put their own spin on it.
December 18, 2018 04:14AM
and this week for some reason, I confess a bout of laziness overcame me and I decided to buy a ready made Bircher Muesli (just add milk and leave overnight), and it was nowhere near a patch on the recipe I have. So I am going to mix it together with my wholegrain oats, and go back to my recipe, which is so much nicer

I am sure Vinka (my Nutritionist) won't mind me sharing the recipe. I am not sure if she devised it or where it is from, but I am sold on it.
December 18, 2018 04:19AM
We often had Bircher Muesli for breakfast in my childhood, and this description (from Wikipedia) is exactly how I recall it:

"The original Bircher-Benner recipe consists of the following ingredients:

Apples, "two or three small apples or one large one." The whole apple was to be used, including skin, core, and pips.
Nuts, either walnuts, almonds, or hazelnuts, one tablespoon.
Rolled oats, one tablespoon, "previously soaked in 3 tablespoons water for 12 hours."
Lemon juice from half a lemon.
Either cream and honey or sweetened condensed milk, 1 tablespoon.[5]

The dish was prepared by mixing the cream and honey or condensed milk with the soaked oats and lemon juice and, while stirring, grating the whole apple into the mixture. This method prevented the apple pulp from browning. "

My mother made it with chopped almonds and sweetened condensed milk. It was delicious.
December 18, 2018 10:26PM
We had Bircher every morning for a few years. My husband made it, I then tired of it and now vary my breakfast with other things.
here is his version Bircher Muesli.
December 19, 2018 09:30PM
I must be a heathen; I love good old Pam's Toasted Muesli with Nuts, Seeds & Yoghurt Coated Raisins, served with extra sunflower & pumpkin seeds with home brewed Hansells or EasiYo Yoghurt .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.