Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Feijoas

Posted by helen 
Feijoas
February 01, 2019 03:17AM
Does anyone remember roughly when the first of the feijoas will arrive in store?
I am hoping end of February as I need them for a photo shoot.
Am I too early do you think?
Re: Feijoas
February 01, 2019 05:50AM
If they're not ready, will you be able to use unripe fruit? Or are you needing a photo of the interior?
February 01, 2019 06:42AM
I always think of them as the first of the true end of summer. So I'm thinking they are more likely to be around end of March. I don't like them though, so don't pay much attention.
February 01, 2019 10:12PM
I fear it's not going to be a good year for feijoas, at least, here in Whitianga. We had very high winds round about blossom time and more blossom was on the ground than on the tree. And now we have this extended hot weather and a lack of water on my two trees means the fruit is still very small. I don't think it will be a bumper crop like I had last year, and I don't think they're going to be anywhere near ready by the end of this month. I might be lucky and get a few decent fruit towards the end of March.
February 02, 2019 12:01AM
I think they are available early April.
February 02, 2019 05:20AM
Our trees have always been April/May, they are really an Autumn fruit and the peaches, plums and nectarines are finished. I don't even know if they would be mature enough in February to use unripe. Someone might have an early variety....?
February 02, 2019 10:40PM
I remember years ago making a superb ice cream using the first of the feijoas, flavoured with the last of the basil, so that must make it early autumn?
February 02, 2019 11:48PM
We have two different varieties. They flower around the same time as the pohutukawa. They are budding now so the fruit will be ready in April/May here. I am not sure how they will do with the lack of rain and hot weather..
February 03, 2019 12:49AM
Mid March according to the NZ Feijoa Growers Association. There is a list of varieties on this website and it tells you who grows the early ones so you might be able to contact them direct and ask when the first one will be available.

[www.feijoa.org.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2019 12:53AM by Danube.
February 04, 2019 03:03AM
Thanks everyone.
I think ours fruit mid March so I was hoping to find some earlier and how sensible of you to refer to nz feijoas Danube. I will check in with them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.