Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Making your own Mustard

Posted by Plates 
Making your own Mustard
July 21, 2019 09:18AM
does anyone do this, and if so can you share a good recipe.
Re: Making your own Mustard
July 22, 2019 04:25AM
Thought about it, got recipes, never done it.
July 22, 2019 05:58AM
I've tried but without much success. A food processor didn't grind the seeds at all (despite soaking beforehand) and the result was a runny mixture of mustard seeds and vinegar. I've been given home made mustard, which seems to be made by mixing whole mustard seeds with mustard powder, but it didn't have much flavour. I think the trick would be to have a suitable grinder.
July 22, 2019 01:04PM
This is a good one:

Herb Mustard

200 g yellow mustard seeds
100 g black mustard seeds
20 whole cloves
1 tbsp fresh tarragon
1 tbsp fresh thyme
3/4 cup parsley sprigs
5 cm fresh ginger, chopped finely
3 cloves garlic (or more to taste)
1/3 cup honey
1 -2 tsps salt
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup olive oil

Method
Blend cloves until ground. Add mustard seeds and process until some are broken up. Blend fresh herbs, garlic and ginger separately, adding oil and/or vinegar if necessary to loosen up. Add other ingredients, mix well and leave overnight to thicken before putting in jars.
July 22, 2019 11:41PM
thanks everyone. Am going to try grounding in the mortar and pestle the old fashioned way
July 23, 2019 12:01AM
TPANDAV, I use a coffee grinder for grinding a small amount of spices. It's a Kenwood electric one, but as I don't drink a lot of coffee, and when I do it's instant, it wasn't being used for its intended purpose. Makes a wonderful spice grinder!
July 23, 2019 12:49AM
We had a very small business making mustard and if I gave you the recipe I would have to kill you all, BUT it is simple, and soaking the seeds in some of the other ingredients is a vital part pre grinding.
July 23, 2019 03:06AM
Lorna Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TPANDAV, I use a coffee grinder for grinding a
> small amount of spices. It's a Kenwood electric
> one, but as I don't drink a lot of coffee, and
> when I do it's instant, it wasn't being used for
> its intended purpose. Makes a wonderful spice
> grinder!

Thanks Lorna. I do have small coffee grinder dedicated to spice grinding, but I don't think it would hold enough to make a decent quantity of mustard, and I wouldn't want to grind a wet mix in it.
July 23, 2019 04:17AM
When I last made the herb mustard recipe (years ago) I think I used my Kenwood blender to grind the spices - it's now defunct, but back then would tackle most things. However, a coffee grinder should work well, and you don't have to grind all of the mustard seeds - the idea is to have a mix of whole and ground spices.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.