Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

I bought the wrong cooker

Posted by helen 
I bought the wrong cooker
August 22, 2019 01:47AM
I am posting this as something to consider for those looking to buy a new cooker.
I had a freestanding Delonghi cooker with 6 gas hobs and a double oven.
The oven bake function kept defaulting to grill and the technician suggested that the cost of repair was more than it was worth.
So, I have bought a Smeg, I had to compromise on having a single oven as the double oven had such a small second oven that I didn't think it would be useful.
There was $1000 difference between the one I bought and the next model up. I thought it was a few aesthetics but didn't pay enough attention to everything and went for the cheaper version.
It is so annoying as the hob configuration is just ridiculous. I was used to having the front hobs being large, small, large.
This makes sense for a large pan on either side of the front a small one in the middle.
My new cooker has large, large, small and while this may sound a bit pedantic, it annoys me most days.
Also I used to have my griddle pan in the centre back as an ideal spot to cook steak with all fumes being easily extracted.
The new cooker doesn't have a large hob in the centre back so my steaks can't cook on a high heat there but instead I have had to move them to the front and so much more smoke comes into the kitchen as opposed to being extracted.

For the sake of the $1000 I would have been so much better off with the other model which has the hob configuration that I am used to and also makes sense.

These things are worth paying attention to as you don't replace cookers that often.
Re: I bought the wrong cooker
August 22, 2019 02:29AM
Helen, is it practical for you to cook your steaks on a barbecue? We have a small Weber on the deck just outside of the door nearest to the kitchen, and even in cold rainy weather I use it to cook steaks, chops, lamb racks, spatchcocked chickens and pickled pork roasts. No indoor mess at all.

This issue has actually been front of my mind this morning as last night I cooked some little lamb chops indoors on a ridged grill pan (they were tiny and I was worried about overcooking them on the Weber). Even with the fan on high the smell pervaded the whole house and is still with us, they made an incredible mess with fat spattering everywhere, and I have vowed not to do it again.
August 22, 2019 03:36AM
That's a dissapointing moment, Helen. I've been a bit annoyed by the same issue with my gas hob. I tend to cook with very large pans, but my kitchen doesn't have room for a 90 wide model.. so that is more the limitation than my choosing the wrong one. Although, If I'd chosen something with side set knobs rather than front set, it may have given me a little more room in that direction.

That said, I agree with TPANDAV, I cook all high heat and splattery stuff on the bbq. I can't stand the lingering smell the next day and all the clean up. My lovely 1996 kitchen has 25cm of tile splashback, then TEXTURED WALLPAPER. Cleaning that stuff is an absolute nightmare so I go all out to avoid it.

I hope you find a way through that doesn't involve spending a lot of money!
August 22, 2019 05:00AM
I am not going to do anything about it except let it annoy me as it is too expensive to make changes.
We do have a barbecue but I also have a husband that insists of pretty much sterilising it after each use....
Also we don't seem to have a reliably dry area for barbecuing at this time of year.
I might need to look at this option more though as it is really annoying me.
A classic example of saving money isn't always the best option. smiling smiley
August 22, 2019 05:13AM
You need to banish your husband from the bbq, lol. Mine has learned over the years not to go near anything cooking related unless he is specifically asked to smiling smiley
August 22, 2019 05:15AM
While anything new takes some getting used to, I can understand what you are saying about the shortcomings of your new oven.

Benjamin Franklin once said "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten" and while it's not poor quality in your case, rather poor design, the sentiment is the same. This is going to annoy you every day for the next 10 years or so, and you more than most as you are using it as part of your livelihood.

So if I were you I would be getting rid of it and getting exactly what you want even if it costs you more than the extra $1,000 that it originally would have.

Had you thought of going back to where you bought it and having a chat with them. If you are buying a more expensive oven then they may be willing to ease you gently out of the problem. Alternatively, there's always Trade Me.

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2019 05:18AM by Barbara Anne.
August 22, 2019 06:21AM
Haha thanks Barbara Anne and I do like those wise words from Benjamin Franklin.
I did think of going to Kitchen Things where I bought it from to see if I could do anything.
Maybe I should give it a go.
If I do get the will to do it then I shall report back.
August 22, 2019 06:31AM
You may be pleasantly surprised and I do hope so. I'm sure you are not the first person to have had a change of heart.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
August 22, 2019 06:31AM
Helen even if Kitchen Things say how sad too bad, I would ask for the Smeg NZ contact details so you can advise on an obvious design fault?
August 22, 2019 07:34AM
Weird configuration alright! My small hob and oven has big, small/big, small - so I can easily fit 2 - even 3 pots/pans on the hob. It would annoy me too.
Id contact them and at least let them know - they may have an explanation that might satisfy us all ;-)

Vanessa
August 22, 2019 11:08AM
Interesting discussion, I've got the electrician/appliance man coming tomorrow to look at our dishwasher and hob, as two elements of our ceramic hob have stopped working. I'd like to go to gas, when we had our hot water converted we deliberately ran the gas through the wall on which the hob sits to allow for this. If we are advised to replace the hob then I'm going to push hubby for a new oven too, as mine is just too small, and I'd like 2 ovens if possible... I'll have to remove a cupboard to do so, but can replace with another cupboard where the oven is now (opposite side of the room from the hob, which is just annoying!). I'm worried about making a mistake with what I choose, so suspect I'll be posting and asking advice!
August 23, 2019 07:04AM
Yes, there's just so much choice now so very easy to get confused. I've started looking at what's available as my range is over 12 years old, and I don't want to have to make a hasty decision when it finally gives up the ghost. I see you can get a free standing 60cm range with a gas hob and double oven now (ovens stacked rather than side by side, so it fits in a 60cm space, rather than the usual 90cm). I haven't done any in-depth research but the concept would seem to make sense.

You'll love gas, Griz - so much more heat control than with electric. Our other motivation for getting a gas hob was moving to the Far North where power cuts (some lengthy) are not uncommon. It's comforting to know that you can always cook a meal, even if it's by candlelight!

Regards,

Barbara Anne
August 23, 2019 09:54AM
I upgraded (2015) or now thinking I've downgraded, to a posh Smeg cooker. A lovely looking machine. Works well but within days after having it installed, the control knob for the large rear element came adrift and fell on the floor, shattering into many pieces. I was able to pick up the controlling part and re-insert it onto the controlling bit. It kept falling off if I knocked it but I was able to return the knob to its rightful position. A few months ago the little middle part of the main back element blew so I contacted the Smeg man who lives nearby to come and fix it and hopefully the knob. This is his reply.

The cost to replace the Right rear element and the control switch for your cooker is
$519-50 Including GST installed.

I will be telling him to get taxidermied.
August 23, 2019 10:07AM
Found this for Smeg replacement parts Australian prices. [genuineapplianceparts.com.au] Now that I am living on my own I'm finding prices escalating from tradesmen to unreasonable expectations that didn't happen when my husband was able to live here and took charge of these things.
J1
August 23, 2019 10:13PM
Kone, I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I know you were wishing awhile ago his health could return to what it had been. I hope you get a better price deal on the Smeg from somewhere else.

I was looking to replace my double oven awhile back and actually gave up because everything on the market had such small oven space in comparison and the only one I could consider had a dodgy door and weak racks so I knew I'd be trading one set of annoying problems for a new set.
August 24, 2019 04:33AM
Kone, what about the Consumer Guarantees Act. The cooker is barely four years old and components should last considerably longer. Do you belong to Consumer? I would be inclined to take this further. So sorry to read about your husband. I agree, some tradesmen are inclinedto exploit women.
August 24, 2019 06:36AM
Kone, it might pay to get another quote - there's a place called AB Appliances who supply parts for many brands but also have mobile technicians.

However, agree with Chris, things shouldn't be falling apart with normal use after a relatively short time, so maybe contact Smeg NZ in the first instance and let them know what is happening and how disappointed you are.

Regards,

Barbara Anne.
August 24, 2019 07:29AM
For what it's worth, I've been very pleased with the cooking of my Bosch Series 9 60cm single oven. I bought it 3 years ago after every.single kitchen appliance in our house blew up within 6w of us moving in. What I don't like, however, is the control panel. It's all digital and a pain in the rear, and has failed a few times when the air circulation inside the oven is somehow compromised (baking paper hanging over a large dish and hitting the front, or something). It then freaks out, starts screaming and shuts down. Not a massive deal, but a bit annoying. And the circular main dial ring thing is a drag for anyone like my husband or son who have quite dry hand skin, their fingers slip over the dial instead of turning it. Other than that, it cooks very well and very evenly and they've removed the lips on the front of the oven racks that used to drive me bonkers in previous Bosch ovens.
August 24, 2019 07:33AM
Thank you for your replies and the excellent advice. I have contacted Smeg in Australia for further information. We bought our cooker from Kitchen Things, who haven't been forthcoming when there has been a problem with all the appliances we bought from them at the same time. They instead, gave me the name of the electrician who dealt with their equipment and he happens to live a few houses away in our same street. Kitchen Things effectively wiped their hands of us once they'd received the monies. They were oh so lovely to deal with initially.

I am not taking this lying down, but will wait until I have my ducks in a row before I bring out my bazooka. I have asked the electrician for a break down for these repairs and equipment but he's now telling me I make him feel uncomfortable if I think he's ripping me off and to find another server. The Meile dishwasher we bought at the same time, developed problems just outside the warranty and that cost just under $400 to repair. I didn't question it then because I trusted him. It happened a few months after my husband's stroke in 2016 which I was still coming to terms with and had fog in my brain. He suffered several further strokes and seizures and is now in full time care. My big strong captain of the high seas is now a rather large sized baby unable to do the basics for himself - walk, talk, feed himself etc.

Going off topic. It is essential for everyone to have an Enduring Power Of Attorney. Had we not taken one out in favour of each other in 2013, I'd have endured endless bureaucratic red tape, despite everything we own is in our joint names. In the blink of an eye, your carefully planned for life can go pear shaped and all your savings go towards keeping one of you cared for while the healthy spouse/partner wonders what they're going to live on eventually.
August 24, 2019 08:24AM
Kone, I'm very sorry to read of your husband's declining health. That has to be a very difficult situation from almost every angle. My mother, 73, is in the latter stages of motor neurone disease, and my father has found this transition beyond difficult, given that they were of the generation that mum did everything in the house and dad went to work. Dad has now had to learn to cook, wash clothes, vacuum etc at 74.

Regarding Kitchen Things washing their hands of you, I ask you to please find the internal strength to fight this. I went through a similar situation last year with Sony and Noel Leeming. NL kept sending me to Sony, and Sony kept sending me back to NL. In the end I went into NL and started quoting law at them and they backed right down and my issue got sent to the Customer Relations department of head office, and lo and behold, it got dealt with. Apparently the manager of my local NL branch is well known to Consumer for being dickheads about their CGA obligations, rather than it being a systemic problem within NL. It was difficult for me to do as I live in a small community and this is the only appliance shop for quite some distance, and as you do in small communities, I associate with several employees in the course of getting on with life in the area. I decided not to feel awkward though, as it was their wrongdoing, not mine.

I had forgotten I was a member of Consumer (had joined years previously, oops), and rang their help line for advice, and was informed that it is the retailer's legal obligation to manage and coordinate any potential Consumer Guaruntees Act issues, and they can face a several hundred thousand dollar find if they direct customers back to the manufacturer. I would encourage you to join consumer, if only for a couple of months, if KnT do not come to the party.

In contrast, shortly after the NL incident, I discovered my 4 year old (so therefore 2 years out of warranty) $4500 Mitsubishi multi drawer fridge was having degredation of the coating on the SS doors and drawers, despite very careful care. I steeled myself for a fight, got all my ducks in a row, and called the retailer (100% Appliances in Albany). I could not have had a more different experience -- their service manger called me back within the hour, then within the day I had been contacted by a Mitsubishi rep in Wellington. The following day the Mitsi rep and I had exchanged calls, emails and photos, and by the end of that week I had received 2 replacement door fronts and 2 replacement drawer fronts from Wellington. It was just such a non-event, and exactly how it should go.
August 24, 2019 08:48AM
Kone, totally agree re EPOA and maybe it should really be the subject of a new thread,as you're right, it is that important. Our family is going through a similar scenario in respect of my MIL. It is difficult and I understand.

I do hope that you have had the right advice re government subsidies and the kind of assistance (financial and otherwise) that is available in your circumstances.

I can see why your oven has not been high on your priority list, but I was interested in the comment of your Smeg man who started to squirm when he was asked to justify his quotation. ...and reading further, he was recommended by Kitchen Things where you bought the oven, so am I smelling a very large rat here?

Take care.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
August 24, 2019 10:24AM
Re your comments Barbara Anne:
I began paying $7k a month to keep my husband in care and then discovered the DHB would contribute some money towards that to the tune of $60 a day, which was a big help. Two months ago when the care givers were given a pay rise, the DHB in their wisdom reduced the amount they contributed by increasing the taxes which meant I had to effectively pay almost another $5 a day. Robbing Peter to Pay Paul. I have since been engaged in getting him onto the Superannuation scheme which he had neglected to do so, and have enjoyed some very good dealings with WINZ. I can't fault them. They have been fair and proactive. The proceeds from the Super will be used when I'm scratching the surface and living on baked beans. It's a back up for when the time comes and I have to call it quits and ask for assistance. It's times like this when I think it would be better all round if he woke up dead one morning instead of the living dead.

I go to his care facility every single day and it's an eye opener. I call it the Zombie Zoo. Residents who can no longer assist themselves in any way have been there for over 10 years and lie on the easy boy loungers which they have been hoisted on to, with their mouths hanging open, lifeless eyes, drooling and unable to even speak in many cases. It's inhuman.

Bugger. I am sorry for turning a discussion about cookers into a sorry tale about my woes.
August 24, 2019 01:29PM
I have a friend in a similar situation Kone, and we have also been through the same thing with my hubby's parents. The whole situation stinks, that you basically have to have nothing for yourself left, the govt takes and takes. It's something that really needs looking into.
August 24, 2019 02:03PM
I too have helped my parents navigate the nightmare that is the residential care subsidy. I wrote a long paragraph that pretty much turned into a rant so I deleted it. My parents were penalised $160k by WINZ for a property transaction 35 years ago that they deemed disposal of assets (which it was not), and that has decimated my father's savings.

He had to spend down until he only had 80k in the bank (they do not own a home) before WINZ would help pay for my mother's $6500/month care bill. He's in his 70's and has no home, no assets and now, stuff all cash in the bank. He is now wondering if the longevity in his family is now going to be a curse rather than the blessing he always thought it would be. The system is *#$(*&ed.

I understand what you mean about the living zombies -- we 'hoped' my mother would succumb to a cold this winter, as a more gentle way to go.. but nothing so much as a sniffle!

I hope you have a much better experience with WINZ than we did, Kone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2019 02:04PM by Jenna.
August 24, 2019 09:54PM
My WINZ days are early Jenna and they have been helpful so far,, but I suspect it is to their advantage at this stage and the fangs and claws will emerge at a later date.
I wish you had posted your full rant. There's a full rant inside me about our so called Aged Care Facilities.
August 25, 2019 12:57AM
Kone, I too am very sad to learn the Captain has had to abandon ship............that is bad enough without all the red tape and palava you are experiencing for his care, and your well-being in life. I think those going through or having gone through this or similar situations should be able to have a place to release their frustrations publicly without having to harbour or carry their concerns and anxiety alone on their shoulders. People can learn from others how the system works or rather, doesn't work.
Take care,
Dawn.
August 25, 2019 01:56AM
In Illness there is Wealth Dawn for those who want to fleece the desperate. To keep him at home I'd have had to make major renovations to the house for a wheelchair or moved. Brought in hoists, and had some sort of day care. Neither was possible at the time and if I move now the dear Government will sink its fangs into our house as well should I need to use the Super for his care. You're better off owning nothing in this country now or being so filthy rich nobody can touch you. We worked hard, saved hard and now it's come to this because of a stinking little blood clot to the brain.

Had he driven blind drunk into a tree and suffered a clot as a consequence of that (as my father did one time), then there'd be nothing to worry about as ACC would pick up the tab for his entire well being.
August 26, 2019 08:15AM
Kone. I am sorry to hear about The Captain and the situation you have found yourself in, We are all here if you need a good rant and rave. Perhaps you can start your own thread so it is easier to find rather than have us searching through stove stuff.
August 26, 2019 10:15AM
Back to the Cooker query. I received this reply from Australia today about the price of an element and knob. I don't think my electrician was ripping me off at all now. Why so expensive? Might have to eat humble pies. A truck load.

Hello Kerry,

I have been asked by Steve to give you a costing of the parts you have requested.
Details as follows:

805690626 Element $220.00
694975086 Knob $60.00

Freight $70.00

Total price $350.00
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.