Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Bubble Tea

Posted by Vanessa45 
Bubble Tea
October 29, 2019 09:03AM
Does anyone drink this? Can you recommend one to try?

My son was very keen to try one so today we went to Ting Tea in Albany. Im not a lover of these types of drinks at all and the jelly bits are a real turn off, however he was very keen.
Kids at school get them on their way to school and drink them at morning tea time - thats life on the North Shore!

The staff member at Ting Tea recommended the Burnt Milk one for a newbie. It looked quite amazing and was a bit like a creme brulee on the top, she even used a blow torch. It did smell like burnt milk too. On the bottom it was filled with brown jelly bits.

My son wasnt over the moon about it, it was too milky and hes not a milk lover - I know we should have ordered a fruit one but being the newbie, decided to go with what was suggested.

So any ideas for Bubble Tea #2???

Vanessa
Re: Bubble Tea
October 29, 2019 09:10AM
Why is it called tea? Sounds revolting. Update: Since googled and now wish I hadn't. Tapioca bubbles???/ Yikes.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2019 09:15AM by Kone.
October 29, 2019 09:56AM
To me bubble tea is a South East Asian and Taiwanese equivalent of lollies, with little nutritional value and a heap of sugar. It's become fashionable but we can only hope that its appeal will die down in due course.
October 29, 2019 03:13PM
Vanessa, aren't you a teacher? These drinks are rubbish, calorific sources of sugar. You must see the effect of these drinks in your classroom? Or have I mixed you up with someone else?
October 29, 2019 10:22PM
I LOVE Bubble Tea, and have for many years now. To the extent that I ask for double bubbles. I do not like the milky teas and always opt for a fruit tea, such as paw paw. I only buy mine from Asian restaurants if they make it, or at Asian stalls at the night food markets

And Bubble Tea originated from Taiwan - should you ever encounter that question in a quiz smiling smiley
October 29, 2019 10:48PM
I've had bubble tea two or three times the last time I was in Singapore, 10 years ago. I loved it, fruit flavoured. I didn't know it was now available in NZ, but probably it's not in Whitianga. I'm off to Singapore again for Chinese New Year and I'll see if I still like it then.
October 30, 2019 10:14AM
Hi Vanessa - tried this once in Perth a long time ago, thinking bubbles were, well bubbles. The tapioca blobs were a nasty surprise.
November 11, 2019 06:15AM
Dominion Road Friday nights, queues outside the bubble tea kiosk. Great socializing with a great variety of people.
November 12, 2019 06:58AM
Vanessa - I have tried it once and thought it was fun (although with excessive packaging).

I went to a local place with my son and it was tasty and not too sweet.

I chose a Black Pearl I think and I quite liked the tapioca grains.
November 12, 2019 09:04AM
i have a neighbours son that enjoys this also.No need to be so rude Griz and personal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 09:14AM by marylew.
November 20, 2019 11:18AM
Yep I am a teacher of Intermediate aged kids and my own son who is Year 7. Every day we go on and on about being healthy and making good choices, as a parent and as a teacher.

Personally energy drinks and fizzy are more the issue - fizzy because its so cheap and energy drinks because of the caffeine and whatever else is in them - thank goodness you have to be 16 to buy them now. '

Bubble tea is expensive, its a treat much like a dessert. With such a huge Asian population here on the North Shore many of my sons friends go and have bubbly tea with their family.

My son wanted to experience it, its similar to the "Freak Shake" concept you see at cafes - milkshakes loaded with - well more sugary stuff. Once again, a treat and an experience. Neither of these things are my thing but I remember as a kid enjoying certain high sugar junk treat.

I found this on Urban List - seems my son isn't the only one curious and a little bit excited about Bubble Tea.
Vanessa

Bubble tea is officially a thing in Auckland-town and we could not get any more. excited. If you’re yet to get on the bubble tea bandwagon, you’re missing out—we guarantee you’ll love it.

So what actually IS bubble tea? Bubble tea (aka pearl milk tea or boba milk tea) originates in Taiwan and comes in two main types—fruit-flavoured teas and milk teas.

Added to the tea base are chewy tapioca pearls, which give the drink its most distinctive characteristic—the bubbly bits.

A wide range of other options can be used to add similar texture to the drink. Choose between the likes of green tea pearls, taro balls, aloe and jelly cubes that seem to come in every flavour imaginable.

It’s the drink of the people with countless flavours to appeal to every taste bud. If you’re not big on ya tea, you’ll find coffee options. And, if you’re a dairy-free kiddo, it’s common to find almond and coconut milk offerings.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.