Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Crayfish

Posted by helen 
Crayfish
February 08, 2020 10:25PM
I have read across new sites that the price of crayfish in NZ has dropped due to orders being unable to be sent to China.
Does this mean across the board do you think or is there somewhere that you can purchase these export crayfish?

I do have the dilemma of thinking about sustainability etc... but it is our wedding anniversary and I thought a crayfish salad would be a rare treat. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2020 10:25PM by helen.
Re: Crayfish
February 08, 2020 10:28PM
Happy Anniversary, Helen and Ed! I have been wondering about this too.
February 08, 2020 10:48PM
Thanks Stephanie.

I just phoned the Auckland fish market who are selling at $108kg instead of $137.
That doesn't sound significantly price reduced.

I then looked up news items and it seems that the majority will be returned to the sea.
Live NZ crayfish to be returned to the sea
February 10, 2020 10:53AM
Takitimu Seafood have them at $80 a KG.
They deliver. We order from them frequently, often whatever is on a freight free special, and I've always had both great quality fish (and believe me, I am picky when it comes to fish freshness) and service.
February 11, 2020 09:33AM
A fishmonger's I go past on the way home (here in Adelaide), has them for 'only' $76.90/kg. Still not cheap enough for me to buy one unfortunately. There has been some talk here too of releasing the live ones back into the sea.
February 11, 2020 10:26PM
I dropped in to Takitimu fisheries yesterday considering a crayfish treat but when it came to the point I bought two turbot instead. A bigger treat, pan fried last night. Delicious!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.