Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Whipped feta

Posted by helen 
Whipped feta
March 06, 2020 12:04AM
Making whipped feta is my new favourite thing. I whizz it in the blender with sour cream/cream and add varying flavours such as mint, dill, lemon zest, garlic etc.. I think it is lovely with char grilled vegetables, fritters etc...
Do you make it and if so what do you serve it with?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2020 12:04AM by helen.
Re: Whipped feta
March 06, 2020 12:30AM
Never heard of it, but does sound good. What proportions of each do you use?
J1
March 06, 2020 02:40AM
That sounds good thanks, and I must try it. I first came across whipped cheese when thinking about trying to recreate Josh Emmett's goat's cheese profiteroles (sooooooooo delicious), where he instructs "Beat the goat's cheese with a wooden spoon to soften it then add the mascarpone and beat to combine. Fold in the cream then taste and season with salt and white pepper. Transfer the mix to a piping bag." (https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/70606284/recipe-goats-cheese-profiteroles-with-rata-honey )
March 06, 2020 04:31AM
I have never made it but I have had it and really liked it.
March 06, 2020 05:23AM
I will make it again on Sunday and write down the proportions.
You can mix cream, sour cream or cream cheese with the feta.
It is incredibly moreish.
jj
March 07, 2020 06:53AM
I hadn't heard of whipped feta then it turns up twice in two days.

[www.theguardian.com]

I'm looking forward to seeing your quantities Helen.
March 07, 2020 07:41AM
Thanks for the link, Ji. I keep forgetting that the Guardian has so many interesting recipes despite reading the paper most days. That potato recipes looks like something I might like to try.
March 09, 2020 12:18AM
Feta is in the fridge and I will be whipping it this afternoon so will update later. smiling smiley
March 09, 2020 04:24AM
Looking forward to hearing about this, Helen. I love feta way too much as it is...
March 09, 2020 08:59AM
Ok so I made it today with

200g feta
120g sour cream (or creme fraiche)
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon zest

Basically I process it until it is smooth and whipped,.
I think the blender does a better job than the food process at it seems to aerate it more.

Whipped feta blog with other flavour variations will be on the homepage in the next day.
March 09, 2020 11:34AM
Looks yummy, Helen, I'll be trying it soon. Do you have a preference for the type of feta you use?

Regards,

Barbara Anne
March 09, 2020 11:54PM
Thank you, Helen. I will try this too. I buy and use feta in salads but actually it's too salty for me so I don't do it often. This would mitigate against the saltiness and open it up to all sorts of uses. Washing up the b****y blender is a pain tho'.
March 10, 2020 04:42AM
I have done an about turn. Use your food processor not blender.
A regular blender may make hard work of the feta.
I have just made this again for a photo.
Here is my lunch! (and some)
Char-grilled Zucchini with Whipped Feta

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2020 04:43AM by helen.
March 10, 2020 04:49AM
That looks delicious Helen! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Regards,
Dawn.
March 10, 2020 05:16AM
Agree with Dawn, fabulous and tasty looking lunch.
March 11, 2020 03:56AM
Stephanie, try putting hot water and a squirt of detergent in your blender and then run it for a minute or so, then get in with the brush. That’s what I do with my thermomix and it works a treat. Hardly anything needing the brush.

Helen I make nearly all our feta, and always put cumin seeds in it. That’s a great taste combo. Janet
April 02, 2020 12:10AM
Helen how long would this keep for? Just 2 of us in lockdown and trying not to over eat!!
April 02, 2020 04:08AM
Karen, your post reminded me that I still had some in the fridge which was left over after I made the dish to take to a neighbour's for dinner over two weeks ago - I had completely forgotten about it as I remember thinking at the time that I would try freezing it.

I have just tasted it and it is still absolutely fine. BTW it went down a treat - we had it with roast lamb.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
April 02, 2020 04:13AM
Thanks Barbara Anne, might give it a go to go with my home made Lavosh.
April 02, 2020 06:50AM
This should last quite a few days in the fridge, I would let you nose and eyes be your guide as think it would taste a bit sour before it became dangerous to eat.
April 05, 2020 10:55PM
Just whipped up a batch yesterday, but added greek oregano to it, and yogurt instead of sour cream. Very addictive. Added chilli sauce to some to serve with Quesadillas.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.