Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Easy Bread Recipe.

Posted by marylew 
Easy Bread Recipe.
March 21, 2020 08:37AM
Does anyone have an easy bread recipe and I will consider anything easy. I have flour, self raising flour,yeast granules and what else do you need? I don't really know how to knead but I am ready to try anything next to making scones.Thanks I might stay home now too scary.
Re: Easy Bread Recipe.
March 21, 2020 10:06AM
Marylew, is it possible to get hold of a bread machine? Even a used one from the hospice shop or trademe? I think in your situation that may be the easiest and most reliable option.
March 21, 2020 10:15AM
There are quite a few on trade me. If you decide to pursue it, if possible stick to Panasonic, then Sunbeam. Look for something where the coating of the pan and paddles is intact.

May I ask what area you live in?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2020 10:15AM by Jenna.
March 21, 2020 10:40AM
What about no knead artisan bread? This is just one of the many online recipes for it: [lifemadesimplebakes.com] Google 'no knead artisan bread' for more, including ones baked on a tray rather than in a dutch oven.
Lynne2
March 21, 2020 11:45AM
If you like grainy or seedy bread google "nadia no knead bread" for Nadia Lim's seed bread. I have been making this almost weekly for a year now and even taught my non-baking/cooking husband how to make it as it is that simple. He used to be a committed white bread eater but immediately took to this bread, hence his keenness to learn how to make it himself in case something happened to me!!!! You can vary the seeds to your taste - I add a couple of tablespoons instead of the half cups each of pumpkin and sunflower seeds and add kibbled wheat and chia seeds as replacements.
March 22, 2020 12:58AM
And to get back to the real basics, traditional Australian Damper
March 22, 2020 01:29AM
This was my everyday bread recipe when I used to bake. It keeps very well for several days and freezes perfectly.

French Potato Bread
(two large, four small loaves)

1 tab. dried yeast
300 ml tepid water
300 ml tepid milk
500g potatoes peeled, cooked & pureed (I use a mouli-legumes)
1 kg strong white flour
2 tsp salt

Dissolve yeast in water and milk, stand 5 min.
Whisk in the potatoes and salt, then the flour and knead 15 min. until very elastic. Put in large bowl & cover.
Rise either overnight in fridge or 2 – 3 hours in a warm place.
Shape into oval loaves and let rise about an hour until doubled in bulk.
Bake at 210 C. 10 min then 180 C. 30 – 50 min. depending on size.

Marylew, if you want to learn how to knead bread dough it's probably easiest to look at some Youtube videos - it's hard to describe but easy to learn from watching. Basically the dough needs to be squashed and stretched to develop the gluten strands that form as it is mixed and which become strong and elastic as you knead. You will feel the dough changing under you hands, becoming elastic and resilient instead of soft and tender like a scone dough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2020 01:33AM by TPANDAV.
March 22, 2020 07:50AM
Thanks to you all for your ideas.I have decided to start off with the easy recipes you have given me.I will try them all (even the Damper looks ok if there is no bread in the house).I found a fried bread recipe and thought better not.I will watch Youtube videos on how to knead bread as tpandav suggested as I am sure to have a lot of time to learn new skills.Jenna thanks for your suggestion of a Breadmaker but I feel I have left it a bit late in life to use new gadgets.I have come back to my home in Gisborne and I have a daughter working at the hospital and grandchildren at school so I will keep my distance and stay home and make do.I didn't have to panic buy because early on I thought this might eventually affect NZ.For some reason I bought flour/yeast and whatever I could to make bread/scones/piklets etc but I don't know how to make bread .Thanks everyone I am about to learn.
March 23, 2020 10:20AM
I would also recommend baking a no-knead bread. I know how to knead and fold, knead and fold, knead and fold... but just love the simplicity of leaving it overnight and letting biochemistry do the hard work for me grinning smiley
March 24, 2020 06:50AM
Thanks Lynette, we all now have time to try different things.
March 24, 2020 10:18AM
I would recommend Annabel Langbein's Busy Peoples bread from her book, The free range cook. It requires no kneading, no waiting to rise, it does it in the oven for you and makes two loaves and it is delicious. Uses both wholemeal and white flour, sesame seeds and dry yeast granules.
March 24, 2020 11:44PM
Another very quick, easy and very tasty type of bread is Foccacia. Basically a flat-bread that doesn't need any rising but is certainly improved by keeping it the fridge overnight then removing it about 2 hours before baking it for 10-15 minutes after patting it out with your fingers and adding any toppings you want.

Here's the recipe that I've had in my OneNote recipe book since 2012 and I copied it from my earlier MasterCook programme and the web page is dated 11 July 2006, so it's had a good run with me, at least. My favourite toppings put on before baking are olives and feta cheese and then once baked, it's heaven with some tasty salami slapped on top. A quick, delicious lunch!

[www.deliciousdays.com]
March 25, 2020 03:55AM
Thank you Lorna. This will make a nice change from our usual sandwich lunch.
J1
March 25, 2020 07:49AM
Speaking of focaccia, Nadia Lim does one which I made recently from her Vegful recipe book. It has 300g of cooked, mashed kumara in it, which makes it extra delicious (300g kumara (red, orange or gold), chopped (or you can use potato), 250ml warm (not hot) water, 1 tsp sugar, 1 Tbsp active dried yeast, 2 tsp salt, 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, 450g high-grade flour). The topping was grapes and rosemary but I'm looking forward to doing cherry tomatoes next time.
March 28, 2020 10:31AM
Lorna - thanks for the foccacia recipe -- I've made it for the last few days for lunch, much to the delight of my family. Easy as, especially if you make a new batch for the fridge as soon as you put the previous one in the oven.
March 28, 2020 10:30PM
Thank you marion I think I have that book I will look for it, it sounds good and I have those ingredients.Lorna thanks for the foccacia idea I love this bread.I just need to move myself now and get started I have been very lazy so far and watched too much television.
March 29, 2020 01:56AM
If you don't have the Annabel Langbein book, the recipe is online here:[www.eatwell.co.nz]
Looks very comforting.
Lynne2
March 29, 2020 02:43AM
Wow thank you Lynne2 that was easier,saved me from trying to stand on a ladder.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.