Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Crispy Pavlova

Posted by Zeetra 
Crispy Pavlova
June 20, 2020 03:34PM
Hi all,

I'm having issues making a Pavlova.
I have a new mixer and a new oven, old recipe. I'm using foodlovers Most perfect pavlova recipe, except, this recipe requires me to add everything in together.

I have no idea what my oven should be on re: fan etc
The ingredients are mixed perfectly, no grainy mixture.

I bake it for the time it says. Leave in oven overnight.
Its not crisp on top and its very oozy.

Any suggestions please.

Zee xx
Re: Crispy Pavlova
June 20, 2020 11:29PM
Could it be the damp weather we are experiencing at the moment? We waited so long for rain and now with it raining more days than not, things are beginning to feel a bit damp.
J1
Re: Crispy Pavlova
June 21, 2020 02:53AM
Zeetra, after pavlova issues myself, I really think one of the key important things, if not the most important, is the age of the eggs. Since ensuring I use only old eggs, I've had perfect pavlovas. By old, I mean at least 3 weeks and preferably older. They should be very close to the best before date, or even after. I used eggs a few days past their best before date in my latest pavlova and it was excellent.

If I know I'm going to be making a pavlova, I purposely keep eggs for it until they're old enough to use in it.

Possibly what contributes to the pavlova dilemma these days is our egg transport system is probably a lot more efficient than it was 20 years ago and so we have very fresh eggs in our fridges.

Oh, re oven setting, I also use the foodlovers perfect pavlova recipe (I know you're using a variation of its method though) although I do a 20cm circle and 6 eggs that are 58g-62g with 1½ cups sugar. I cook on Classic Bake which in my oven is bottom element on only. 110°C for 1½ hours. Since switching to always old eggs, this oven setting has given me no trouble.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2020 03:00AM by J1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.