Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Anchovies

Posted by helen 
Anchovies
June 22, 2020 07:09AM
For a long period of time anchovies were a staple ingredient for me, I added them to so many things and always had a jar in the fridge.
Maybe it changed as I started to cook more SE Asian food but I just don't seem to go through anchovies like I used to.
Do you use them regularly and if so what do you put them in?
Re: Anchovies
June 22, 2020 09:35AM
I use them once in a while on pizza. I have also mashed them into home made pasta sauce. I enjoy the taste but it’s not a regular item for me.
June 22, 2020 03:24PM
I used anchovies a lot last summer as I discovered a recipe that was basically a simplified Caesar salad (just cos, toasted sourdough breadcrumbs and parmesan) which had a fabulous anchovy dressing. Then I discovered that the dressing perked up a lot of other salads as well so I made it a lot and got through a lot of anchovies. The dressing is 5 mashed anchovies, 2 minced garlic cloves, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 1 tsp white wine vinegar and 1/4 cup EVOO whisked together.
June 22, 2020 10:10PM
I always have some on hand, mostly use when cooking mushrooms, guess the saltiness of the anchovies heightens the mushroom flavour, CarolynC will copy the anchovy dressing, it sounds very tasty and a bit different.
June 22, 2020 10:33PM
I consider them a staple and always have them on hand but realise I don't very often use them these days. Used, always, to poke holes in a leg of lamb and tuck a sliver of garlic and anchovy into them before slow roasting. And when I have sage with big leaves I love sandwiching a fillet of anchovy between two leaves, dipping in a light batter and shallow frying. But only ever did that when people were coming in for a drink.
Must use up the jar in the fridge and reconsider!
June 22, 2020 11:33PM
I've always got a jar of anchovies in the fridge. They're invaluable for adding a burst of flavour to many recipes. Sometimes when I taste something I'm cooking, I think "Hm, this needs a lift, what can I use?" Anchovies are always high on the list of possibilites, which also include things like miso, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, tamarind and a host of other 'umami' condiments. Generally, a little goes a long way!
June 23, 2020 01:12AM
I always have a jar in the fridge, and mainly use them in an Italian chicken dish which I developed from a recipe by Marcella Hazan, involving chicken, rosemary, garlic, anchovies, vinegar and either potatoes or Brussels sprouts. Otherwise I make a salad of charred red capsicum with garlic and anchovies, and put them in a Salade Niçoise and a Caesar Salad.

We adore the very expensive Ortitz anchovies and for a treat will have them as an hors d'oeuvre, but only once in a blue moon because of the cost.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2020 01:54AM by TPANDAV.
June 23, 2020 01:32AM
Yes - we adore the Ortiz anchovies too - and occasionally give them as a present. Silly really, I never know if the recipient truly appreciates them. Note to self: gift Ortiz anchovies to me in the future.
June 23, 2020 04:50AM
Another fan of Ortiz here. About 10+ years ago I recall they were nearly affordable as I managed to squeak them into my food budget. Then they shot up in price and no longer do I buy them!

One of my favourite uses for anchovies is smashed in butter then use the butter on steak, other bbq meats, veges etc. Also in casseroles, pasta sauces (I will add one or two when the onions are nearly done), pizza, focaccia.

Eons ago when I was 18 I travelled to Europe with my friend. She was an interesting person, and made it her mission to eat McDonalds all over Europe. Even back then that was just wrong to me, but whatever. I recall one night in Milan, I was so flipping tired of the shit food she wanted to eat, I went out by myself and found a hole in the wall restaurant not far from our hotel. I could read very very little Italian, so ended up just pointing at something on the pizza list -- it was brought out to me with the waiter having a huge smile on his face (possibly laughing at the tourist?) as I had ordered an anchovy pizza. I ate every single bite and that pizza still rates as one of the best things I've ever eaten smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2020 04:55AM by Jenna.
June 23, 2020 09:42AM
A great way to ring a change with broccoli is to saute a couple of anchovy fillets in butter until they break down, then stir through steamed or boiled broccoli. No doubt this would also work well with cauliflower.
Lynne2
sue
June 27, 2020 07:17AM
How long do they keep once opened and stored in the fridge?
June 30, 2020 04:11PM
Weeks or months, Sue. If they're poking out of the oil I pour a bit more in to make sure they're covered.
July 01, 2020 04:20AM
I went to Bistronomy restaurant in Napier for dinner last evening, along with the perfectly cooked pork belly I had a plate of brussel sprouts and parsley sauted in anchovy butter, the best
sue
July 02, 2020 02:09AM
Thanks CarolynC. Thats what I thought but was not to sure.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.