Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Christmas Cake

Posted by helen 
Christmas Cake
December 02, 2020 09:51AM
Who has made their Christmas cake and if so do you have a recipe that you would recommend?
I have a few emails in the past few days re Southern Comfort Christmas cake that also has mashed banana in it.
No one in our house eats it so I don't usually think about it that much. Over the past few years I have ordered my dad a small one from Margaret McHugh in Picton. They are small enough for him to work through.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2020 04:28AM by helen.
Re: Christmas Cake
December 03, 2020 10:41AM
I have been using Tui Flower’s recipe from the NZ Womans Weekly from 1970. It’s a dark and rich fruit cake and we really like it. Because we don’t like icing I cover the top with blanched almonds. I shudder when I visualise a mountain of cake spanning 50 years. I’d be happy to share the recipe if anyone is interested. My scales measure in lbs and oz.
December 04, 2020 03:18AM
My Fruit Cake
Soak 1kg mixed fruit (I add extra cherries, so up to 1.5kg in total) in Sherry overnight. (This year I found some Rum that needed to be used)
Cream together 250g butter. 250g sugar, 1 tbs golden syrup, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 1 tsp lemon essence.
Add 5 large eggs, one at a time and beat well
If the mixture looks curdled at this point dont not panic!!!
On top of soaked fruit put 330g flour and 1 tsp baking powder.
Then add creamed mixture
Mix till well combined. (I mix with my hand, it is easier as I usually multiply the recipe by 3 or 4 times.)
Line a 8" tin with 2 sheets baking paper. Make a slight dip in the centre and that will encourage it to cook flat.
Cook at 150 deg for 20mins then turn down to 120 or 130 deg till cooked.
Check with a skewer
On bringing it out of the oven pour over some brandy, especially the edges.
Cover with a clean tea towel and allow to cool thoroughly in the tin - overnight is best.

I make various sizes of this recipe, even small round (individual sized ones)
I do like to make them at the beginning of October, and give them a wee drink every 5-6 weeks.
Due to demand, I make a brandy butter icing for the top which is usual butter icing but with brandy and a little tepid milk
Freezes well too.
Do not store a fruit cake in a plastic sealed container. Your cake will go off in no time.
I wrap mine in paper until it is ready to ice, then an old fashioned cake tin.
Merry Xmas everyone smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2020 03:31AM by Raewyn G.
December 09, 2020 09:58PM
I made my daughters Christmas cake yesterday, I use Alison Holst's Pineapple Christmas cake and have done every year since 1961. Not extravagant but full of flavour reliable and easy. I usually add some brandy after it's cooked and a few times before she receives it duly iced with Almond icing and then a rich brandy butter icing to top it off.Happy Christmas everyone.,
December 10, 2020 07:46AM
I am also a fan for Alison Holst's pineapple Christmas cake. I made it yesterday and decorated the top (prior to cooking) with almonds and cherries.

Happy Christmas to you all, hope you have a wonderful time with friends/family. Delicious food and wonderful fellowship, plus safe travels for those who will be travelling.

cheers Gran
December 12, 2020 07:30AM
I have that recipe Helen, the one with Southern Comfort and mashed banana, I made it for years, and had it as our wedding cake... hadn't even thought of it until recently when a friend I'd lost contact with friended me on Facebook, and said she was still making it! We've been married for 30 years next year.

When we got married we doubled or maybe tripled the ingredients, including the alcohol. Mum duly coated the cake in almond paste and fondant icing, and topped it with hand made orchids and roses. After the cake was set up at the venue we realised that the alcohol was melting the almond paste which was oozing out from under the fondant and running over the base boards, in desperation we mopped it all up with toilet paper as that was all we had! The guests never knew, and we got lots of comments on the lovely moist cake. Phew.
December 12, 2020 08:04AM
Griz's story reminds me of the time when, many decades ago, I made an adjustment to a fruit cake recipe by using fresh pineapple instead of tinned crushed pineapple, thinking it would be an improvement. What I didn't know then was that there is an enzyme in pineapple that breaks down protein and after a few weeks my cake started to dissolve into a grey mush. I think it is the same enzyme that is in kiwifruit and papaya, and either the enzyme is not vulnerable to heat or the cake was undercooked in the centre.
December 14, 2020 05:39AM
I tried a new recipe at the weekend. 3 main ingredients. Made for a diabetic relative.

1kg mixed fruit ( I added extra cherries)
Soaked in the fridge overnight in 600 mls iced coffee. (I dissolved some instant in hot water then made up to 600mls with milk)
Next day add 2 cups SR flour (I used 2 cups flour, 2 tsp baking powder)
Mix well
I then put into a 9" square tin with 2 layers of baking paper.
I topped with whole almonds (optional)
Cooked for about an hour at 160 deg C and then turned it down to around 130 deg till skewer came out clean.
Sorry I didn't look at the time.
On bringing it out of the oven, I sloshed some brandy over it , covered with a clean teatowel and allowed to cool overnight.
Storing it in an old fashioned tin. Cake is wrapped in paper.
Next time I will make it with Gluten free SR flour so I can indulge.
Did try a friends one and it was delicious.
Its starting to feel a bit like Xmas

Raewyn G

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2020 05:41AM by Raewyn G.
December 14, 2020 08:14AM
Raewyn, that is a fantastic and moist recipe. But mine has had alcoholic overload. I use brandy as my liquid, and pour over brandy when it comes out of the oven. I haven't made mine either this year or last year but make it end of October and then every week until Xmas Day I pour over a capful of brandy. Our last cake made 2 Xmas's ago was only finished around October of last year - and was perfect. Still moist and so tasty - obviously due to the brandy. And I forgot that Xmas that a friend visiting did not drink alcohol. Offered her the cake and she said it was the best she has ever tasted... mmm is that why she is now an alcoholic JUST KIDDING!! But seriously there is no alcoholic taste even with all that alcohol
December 15, 2020 03:05AM
Irene,
Its Xmas and I too can be heavy handed with the brandy bottle. I did smile and think, what would a cap full do for a cake.......I put my finger over the end of the bottle and give it a very generous drizzle.
My late partner said people could get totalled on a piece of my cake!!!!
Happy Christmas
Raewyn G
December 15, 2020 08:16AM
Raewyn G Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Irene,
> Its Xmas and I too can be heavy handed with the
> brandy bottle. I did smile and think, what would a
> cap full do for a cake.......I put my finger over
> the end of the bottle and give it a very generous
> drizzle.
> My late partner said people could get totalled on
> a piece of my cake!!!!
> Happy Christmas
> Raewyn G

Raewyn, if truth were told, Irene used a cup full, not a cap full. drinking smiley
December 15, 2020 12:40PM
You hit the nail on the head Chris. Going off memory I had 1 kg fruit and 2 cups of brandy. Soaked that overnight then added flour/baking powder. Out of the oven and then a capful of brandy immediately, followed by a capful every week
December 16, 2020 12:40AM
Referring to Raewyn's comment about making a Christmas cake for some one with diabetes. I don't feel from what is written that the recipe would be suitable with diabetes as the fruit has a lot of sugar contained. I myself who has Type 1 diabetes would not eat a Christmas as my blood glucose levels would be really high. Perhaps someone with Type 2 could have a small treat on Christmas day if they were not on insulin.
December 16, 2020 01:29AM
Carol 41 Wrote:
> Referring to Raewyn's comment about making a
> Christmas cake for some one with diabetes. I
> don't feel from what is written that the recipe
> would be suitable with diabetes as the fruit has a
> lot of sugar contained. I myself who has Type 1
> diabetes would not eat a Christmas as my blood
> glucose levels would be really high. Perhaps
> someone with Type 2 could have a small treat on
> Christmas day if they were not on insulin.

I agree. Both types of diabetes are affected by carbohydrates, whether sugar, dried fruit or flour. It's up to the individual person to decide whether they want to eat high carb foods, but please don't present that fruit cake as being suitable for people with diabetes as it is very high carb..
December 16, 2020 02:11AM
Thank you both for your wisdom
My son-in-law said he would have a piece but would not have fruit that day, to balance things out
Regards,
Raewyn G
J1
December 16, 2020 07:53PM
You'd be surprised what masquerades as suitable for diabetics. I did a search of the internet and all these Christmas/fruit cakes purport to be suitable for diabetics:
[www.rnz.co.nz]
[www.food.com]
[www.diabetes.org.uk]
[www.bbcgoodfood.com]
[www.bestrecipes.com.au]
and many more.....

Of course, they are suitable for diabetics if you don't want to reverse your Type 2 diabetes -
[www.sciencedaily.com]
December 16, 2020 10:10PM
Amazing. The Australian one with 160g cherry jam is especially comical.
December 17, 2020 02:38AM
Chris can you please post Tui Flower's recipe, thanks.
December 17, 2020 05:25AM
garth.wes@xtra.co.nz Wrote:
> Chris can you please post Tui Flower's recipe,
> thanks.

I can certainly email the recipe to you. Not sure if it is permissible to post it here.
December 17, 2020 10:11PM
I used to make a traditional Christmas Cake recipe using West Indian black treacle. I now use the three ingredient slow cooker recipe which I found on the internet. Keeps for a year. Absolutely delicious and moist. Very easy recipe. It is under Simple Slow Cooker Fruit cake. I add a little bit of spices but they are optional. A very successful fruit mixture I use is 300 gms of glace cherries, sultanas 400 gms and dried apricots 300 gms but it is all a matter of personal taste. I use a mixture of brandy and orange juice. There are quite a few variations you can use. Do place tea towel under slow cooker lid to stop moisture dripping on cake. People who do not like Christmas cake love this one.
December 17, 2020 11:08PM
Chris Wrote:
> garth.wes@xtra.co.nz Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Chris can you please post Tui Flower's recipe,
> > thanks.
>
>
> I can certainly email the recipe to you. Not sure
> if it is permissible to post it here.

I have sent the recipe to what looks like your email in your post.
December 18, 2020 02:43AM
This link of Allyson Gofton's has Tui Flower's Christmas cake recipe, perhaps it is this one. It also has a gluten free cake as well.

I always omit the icing and use nuts and green and red cherries on top.
December 18, 2020 04:56AM
There is nothing better than Xmas cake for brunch after a long walk or bike ride. Yes I have made two, I make different recipes nearly every year and they are both iced with yummy almond and white icing. Hence the need for a two hour cycle before hand.
December 19, 2020 03:44AM
I too go with the Alison Holst pineapple Christmas cake, as did my mum smiling smiley Super reliable, stores well (no grey mush thankfully!) and can hold a lot of brandy!
December 19, 2020 08:14AM
Marnie Wrote:
> This link of Allyson Gofton's has Tui Flower's
> Christmas cake recipe, perhaps it is this one.
> It also has a gluten free cake as well.
>
> I always omit the icing and use nuts and green and
> red cherries on top.

Marnie, could you post the link please? I am just curious. I have the NZWW cook book by Tui Flower (1972 edition) which has got two Christmas cake recipes in it but not the one I am using.
December 20, 2020 12:01AM
Here it is, Chris. Sorry I forgot to include it earlier.

[www.thecoast.net.nz]
December 20, 2020 12:08AM
Thank you, Marnie. It’s not the recipe of Tui Flower’s I have been using all these years but I will print it out and try it because it reminds me of an old recipe I have that uses a tin (yes, you read right) of blackcurrant jam and is rather nice.
J1
December 20, 2020 01:07AM
Around 1970, I was at a Girl Guide camp of team leader guides from all over the North Island, and one of the challenges we had to compete in was making a cup of tea for the adult challenge judges. We had to make an outside fire, devise a stand to hang the billy on over the flames, heat the water in the billy, etc. The particular judge for my little group's effort announced our tea excellent and we won the challenge. She said it was because we had put the lid on our billy, thereby ensuring the tea didn't end up tasting smoked. As a pre-teen, I had no idea who she was at the time, but I've always remembered her name - Tui Flower.
December 20, 2020 01:46AM
I found this one as well...

[www.myrecipebook.co.nz]
December 20, 2020 03:37AM
Lovely story, J1. Tui Flower is such a memorable name.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.