Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Plum sauce

Posted by Ali W 
Plum sauce
February 21, 2021 08:29AM
I have a large pot of old fashioned plum sauce on the bubble. Lovely neighbour sharing the bounty of her heavy trees.

Another neighbour has checked out all the stores for glass bottles - and the shelves are empty..

Could the sauce be kept in ice cream containers in the interim?

Alternately, would plastic vinegar bottles be okay?

Funny how you just presume things will be available, until they are not!

Would appreciate your advice.

Thanks
Re: Plum sauce
February 21, 2021 10:13AM
Glass bottles are best Ali - don't forget wine bottleswinking smiley

Regards,

Barbara Anne
February 21, 2021 10:23AM
Of course, thanks Barbara Anne.

Hubby has offered to “drink like mad”. What a hero!
February 21, 2021 10:48AM
Have you thought of trying op shops? I recycle all of my jars and bottles through my local ones and they always seem to have a good stock of them.
Lynne2
February 21, 2021 11:53PM
Also, if you have a local FaceBook chat page, ask the question there: Has anyone got any jam or other relevant size jars? I think you will find several members wit!h just what you want, and probably free!
February 22, 2021 12:29AM
If you have Agee preserving jars and corresponding preserving lids and screw rings, I have used them when I'm short on bottles and just transfer the sauce into a bottle or two when needed.
Regards,
Dawn.
J1
February 22, 2021 02:03AM
It'll be too late because you have your plum sauce bubbling on the stove already but I'll comment that I really appreciate wide-necked bottles for things like tomato sauce and plum sauce. It makes it so much easier to get the sauce out. You can get them from Briscoes:
[www.briscoes.co.nz]
but they're expensive and I've found the lids don't last (they tend to get rust spots). You can now buy new packs of replaceable lids these days but, anyway, I looked around for alternatives and ended up buying some fabulous sauce bottles from Arthur Holmes. They also have the Briscoes-type ones for a much better price.
[arthurholmes.co.nz]
They have pretty much any container and lid type you could wish for, for very reasonable prices.
[arthurholmes.co.nz]
February 22, 2021 03:56AM
I love plum sauce and made a small quantity last week with omega plums given to me. I have used Arthur Holmes for jars/bottles, they are located in Wellington.
February 22, 2021 06:37AM
Thank you everyone. In the end we used a very eclectic collection of a gin bottle, a French jam jar with the checkered lid, some instant coffee jars and various others we found.

Next time I will be more prepared!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.