Yorkshire Puddings
June 24, 2021 02:50AM
Has anyone got a recipe for individual Yorkshire Puddings which gives crisp and well risen puddings.

I’ve made them in the past but now can’t find which recipe I used. I made some last night which tasted lovely, but they didn’t rise much, and were more custardy? in the middle as Toad in the Hole often is.

Sandy
Re: Yorkshire Puddings
June 24, 2021 04:00AM
For the past few years I have been using Gordon Ramsay's recipe which is so easy because you make it in a blender and just pour the batter into hot 12 cup muffin trays. They always come out perfectly for me and puff up enormously. [www.epicurious.com]
There are a few sites with his recipe and there also a video on youtube of him making them.
June 24, 2021 04:20AM
I use a basic Nigella Lawson recipe

325 ml milk
4 eggs
Half teaspoon salt

Beat this altogether and leave to stand for 15 minutes.

Add 250g flour.

You can use this recipe in muffin tins or in one large container. Must be poured into hot fat and cooked in a 230C oven.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2021 04:21AM by Jenna.
June 25, 2021 09:26AM
I can see no benefit in leaving that mixture to stand. Most Yorkie recipes leave the mixture to stand after the flour has been added, which makes sense, as it allows the gluten to relax, and the starch to absorb... but mixing eggs/milk/salt and then leaving it to stand, then adding the flour, has no purpose that I can fathom.
June 25, 2021 09:41AM
I agree. I wonder if it was an editing error. Nigella is usually very reliable and her recipes are well checked.

Does anyone know what the purpose of standing the liquid and salt might be? I'm curious.
June 25, 2021 10:57PM
I know that Kenji Lopez Alt from Serious Eats recommends mixing the eggs and salt together and letting them stand for while when making scrambled eggs. He found " that pre-salting is beneficial, helping the eggs retain their moisture and tenderness. The reason is that salt acts as a buffer between the proteins in the eggs, preventing them from linking as tightly as they otherwise would during cooking. The tighter they link, the more water they push out and the tougher they become. "
Maybe Nigella does this for the same reason, but with everything else in the batter I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference.
June 26, 2021 01:52AM
I've got a few recipes that call for mixing eggs and salt then resting, and i understood the reasoning to be that above. Doesn't cause me any drama to do so, so I've not questioned it. The resulting puddings are fabulous, so I'm not going to leave that step out smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2021 01:55AM by Jenna.
June 26, 2021 07:22AM
Thanks Danube and Jenna for your suggestions.

I’ll try each of them and see which works best for me.

Sandy
August 29, 2021 01:13PM
Just watching Jamie's Easy Meals (or some such) on TV, he just mentioned that you should have some water in your batter as the rise is caused in part by the explosive result of water hitting hot oil... I'd not realised that before, my Mum's recipe doesn't have water, and it always fails, hers was always really light, so I was blaming myself, but maybe she added some water without listing in the recipe?
September 04, 2021 05:31AM
I have my mothers recipe for Alison Holst's Popovers

From Food With Out Fuss which was a weekly column in the Wellington Evening Post....

all in imperial measurements

1/2 cup flour (I presume standard NOT SR)
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup of milk
Mix flour and salt in a bowl or Jug
Add egg and milk and stir till the mixture resembles thin cream.

Pour batter into patty tins greased with beef drippings.

Do not over fill more than a a third full.

Bake at 375F (190 C) for 15-20 minutes until well risen and golden brown.

Serve with roast beef and gravy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.