Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Aleppo chilli flakes

Posted by helen 
Aleppo chilli flakes
August 11, 2021 10:39PM
Thanks to Ottolenghi I have just discovered Aleppo chilli flakes and they are so good. Does anyone else here already use them?
There is a heat that seems to build as opposed to immediately hitting your palate but the heat is nothing compared to regular dried chilli that we are used to buying.
The flavour is earthy and a bit fruity... hmm I am not describing it that well.
I could only find 200g bags, as linked above. I am going to share with a couple of friends although I do feel that I will use it frequently now that I have it.
I also bought Urfa pepper flakes from the same place although haven't tried these yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2021 10:39PM by helen.
Re: Aleppo chilli flakes
August 12, 2021 02:39AM
Yes, I kept seeing them in recipes but couldn't find them anywhere. Then I was in Davis Foods in Carbine Rd and they were knocking out a massive bag of them for a few dollars. I think I'm set for lifesmiling smiley.
August 12, 2021 02:45AM
Pul Biber is lovely. Thanks for the link to Vetro - I will buy some next time I'm there.

When I couldn't find Pul Biber I used Korean med-hot red pepper flakes and they are very similar; I don't think I could tell the difference.

Years ago I bought Urfa chilli flakes from Herbie's in Sydney and I was disappointed. Maybe they were stale, but they didn't have much character.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2021 02:45AM by TPANDAV.
August 26, 2021 07:32AM
If you are in Auckland there is a faboulous shop hidden 90 Wairau road Hesari They sell alot of middle Eastern goods BUT, on a Sat Sun normally around midday they sell fresh turkish bread cooked in there huge oven on site and freshly cooked Falafels , and you are able to buy hummus tatziki etc.... well worth a trip!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2021 07:33AM by Karen.
August 26, 2021 09:33AM
Thanks Karen, once we are back and open I will be sure to visit them.
August 26, 2021 11:28AM
Karen, I had a look at their website. Some interesting spices, sauces etc. that I can’t obtain locally.
August 26, 2021 11:54AM
Karen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you are in Auckland there is a faboulous shop
> hidden 90 Wairau road Hesari They sell alot of
> middle Eastern goods BUT, on a Sat Sun normally
> around midday they sell fresh turkish bread cooked
> in there huge oven on site and freshly cooked
> Falafels , and you are able to buy hummus tatziki
> etc.... well worth a trip!!

Thanks for that Karen, a very interesting on line range. I see that they have Iliada olive oil, which is fabulous. We have been buying it from Vetro in Tauranga but it's comforting to know that if lockdown continues we can get it delivered.
August 26, 2021 11:42PM
Another little store I just stumbled across on line is a Latino store Pachamama, 179a Archers road. Once we are able I will be popping in for a look..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.