Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Helen's Thai Yellow Chicken Curry

Posted by Dawn 
Helen's Thai Yellow Chicken Curry
August 23, 2022 01:54AM
I have at long last made Helen's Thai Yellow Chicken Curry (from her Foodlovers recipes) and it is delicious! So easy too, and as Helen states it is creamy and mellow! Very easy to make and we have enough for more than one night's meal, there being just the two of us. My husband is already looking forward to a 2nd round of it for tonight's dinner! I added a lot of green beans and peas.

It's very quiet in Foodlovers ATM! We must all be very busy.

Anyone making any recipes from Foodlover's website recipes lately?

Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2022 01:57AM by Dawn.
Re: Helen's Thai Yellow Chicken Curry
August 23, 2022 06:39AM
y
It has been quiet Dawn, I have made Helen's Rosemary Chicken, her cheese scones & Bran muffins love them all. Rosemary isn't always everyone's favourite but you could use less or leave it out, it would be just as nice.
Not from Helen but last night I made Corned or pickled Pork in my pressure cooker, 15 minutes all up, family come over on a Monday night so nice & easy. Self saucing ginger pudding from Dish # 102 went down a treat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2022 06:45AM by Lyn V.
August 23, 2022 07:41AM
Good recommendation, Dawn - have just looked at the recipe. I'm not familiar with yellow curry paste, just red and green which I always have on hand. Is it milder?

Regards,

Barbara Anne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2022 07:42AM by Barbara Anne.
August 24, 2022 12:16AM
I've been 'teaching' myself a little about the different curries and have recorded this description of yellow curry. I forgot to record the web-link when I copied the tips about the various curries, but no doubt could find it if I really need it. I also have the descriptions of the red and green curries if anyone wants them. The records say that yellow curries are usually the mildest, followed by red, then green.

Yellow Curry
The main component in a yellow Thai curry is the presence of turmeric. Add a little more than the normal quantity of turmeric while the curry simmers, and you have yourself a lovely, thick, yellow curry.

Word of caution though, too much turmeric can overpower the taste of the curry, so be careful while adding it to your dish. Also, remember to add turmeric at the beginning, as opposed to the end of the dish. It takes a while to get rid of the raw taste of turmeric.
August 24, 2022 03:21AM
Thanks Lorna for the yellow curry description, I hadn't thought about turmeric being the main component in yellow curry.

Barbara Anne, yellow is certainly a mild curry, and the flavours in Helen's recipe are lovely. I'm not a great liker of hot curries, and gravitate to using mild curry powder if making a curry dish, whereas my husband is the opposite and likes curry hot enough to bring sweat beads onto his nose!! tongue sticking out smiley

Lyn V I also love Helen's Rosemary Chicken and her scone recipe. Another couple of Helen's chicken recipes I love are Adobe Chicken and Thai Chicken Meatballs which uses red curry paste (just to keep my husband happy!)
Regards,
Dawn.
August 24, 2022 06:26AM
Dawn it is quiet on Food Lovers ATM. I have little bursts of kitchen inspiration now and then (more then than now!!) and do find FL recipes handy, and still enjoy reading FL posts. Annie
August 24, 2022 10:18AM
I don't think a yellow curry is necessarily a mild one. David Thompson, the great authority on Thai food, writes that a yellow curry can be among the hottest, that turmeric is the distinguishing ingredient, also the inclusion of fruit.
August 24, 2022 11:39PM
Thanks TPANDAV - Yellow curry 'heat' is another thing I hadn't given any thought to. The yellow curry in Helen's recipe is a shop bought preparation, but I can imagine the world is your oyster if you are making up your own yellow curry base and you could make it as hot as you like. I can imagine that you would make your own base over a bought preparation, if so, do you add fruit? Do you prefer mild or hot and do you have a recipe please?
Regards,
Dawn.
August 25, 2022 04:20AM
Here is David Thompson's paste recipe used with his Yellow Curry of Clams with Pineapple.

25 dried bird's eye chillies, soaked and drained
Large pinch of salt
1 tab chopped galangal
2 tab chopped red turmeric
4 tab chopped garlic
1 tab chopped red shallot
1 heaped tab shrimp paste (gapi)

Pulverise in a mortar or a blender, do not add oil to loosen, add a little water if necessary.

I have not made this as the quantity of chilli would be too much for us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2022 04:22AM by TPANDAV.
August 25, 2022 05:57AM
Thank you TPANDAV. Far too many chillies in there for me too. I would have to purchase galangal and shrimp paste when I'm nearer the shops which sell it. I will give it a go one day though when my current jar of yellow paste has all been used.
Regards,
Dawn.
Ps. Curry of Clams and Pineapple sounds very appealing!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2022 06:00AM by Dawn.
August 25, 2022 07:29AM
Hi all, thank you for all the information about yellow curry paste - very informative. I tracked some down in my local Four Square this morning - I had never seen it before, but then I had never had cause to look for it. Helen's recipe is on the menu for tomorrow night - I look forward to trying it.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
August 25, 2022 11:18AM
Great Barbara Anne. Let us know how it goes. My husband was still raving about it yesterday as he finished off the last of ours!
Regards
Dawn.
August 26, 2022 06:32PM
One thing I do wish that recipe writers would specify is the type of curry paste used, as in the brand name, as I find that no two are the same and that the balance of recipes can be off. I usually go to Moore Wilson and purchase what looks to be the most authentic paste I can find, but I've had some real disasters at times. Pastes from small jars taste different to big jars and different again from the sachet types. I will always prefer recipes that make pastes from scratch for this reason, but don't always have the time or the budget to purchase all the ingredients to make a paste.

We're the opposite of you Dawn, I love a good hot curry, and adore hot chili in any form, happy to keep eating with tears streaming down my face, hubby is a heat avoider, so I usually cook milder than I like then spice up the remainder for my own tastes.
August 27, 2022 06:50AM
After reading this thread I will make this curry. Dawn, did you buy fresh lemongrass or was it from a jar. Both yellow curry recipes have chicken in them but I assume it’s the one on the left you have been making. Is that correct. Thx
August 28, 2022 02:03AM
Yes, Dawn is right - this is a really nice curry. I put everything suggested in it, potato, pumpkin, kumara and green beans. Chris, I used the tube of Gourmet Garden lemongrass paste which I had on hand, but I guess fresh would be even better.

Griz, I think that Mae Ploy is probably the most authentic curry paste (available in Asian supermarkets), however, I find the supermarket brands perfectly adequate - the one I used for this curry which I bought from 4 Square was Valcom, and my current green curry paste is Exotic Foods. Of course my tastes might not be as refined as others'.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
August 28, 2022 08:27AM
Thanks Barbara Anne. I don't think I can get fresh lemon grass at the moment so will get a tube. Looking forward to making this recipe.
August 28, 2022 10:50PM
Chris - I saw fresh lemongrass in Countdown yesterday - it was one of the Superb Herb range, in the little oblong plastic trays. Might be worth a look in your local.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
September 02, 2022 02:34AM
Apologies for my delay in getting back to this thread!

Griz, nice to know you are the same as me and try to cater for the varying likes and dislikes of your husband's tastes! I guess there are many couples out there who do the same! Talking of authentic pastes though, I live in an area with limited supermarkets and they only stock the types of food additives, ingredients, brands, which are the most popular, hence we have no choice of variety. I used Exotic Foods yellow curry paste as it was the only one available.

Barbara Anne, I'm so pleased you liked Helen's curry, it is a really filling dish with the extra veges added. As you mentioned to Chris, I too used from a tube preparation of Gourmet Garden lemon grass, but I say that with a bit of red faced embarrassement, as I have a ton of lemon grass growing in the garden!!!eye rolling smiley I have mentioned before that I think I'm a lazy cook! By the time I pull from enough fresh lemon grass bulbs/stems(?) and then strip them down to get enough of the soft lemony inner and then chop it all up, I'm over making the rest of the recipe by then. It's such an arduous chore!

I think I have been neglecting my lemon grass by not giving it a fertilizer to enable it to grow much fleshier stalks. It's such an easy grass to grow and multiplies easily, but mine isn't quite like the thick stemmed bulbs you see with tv cooks when they are preparing fresh lemon grass!
Regards,
Dawn.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2022 02:36AM by Dawn.
September 04, 2022 06:24AM
I usually buy Cock brand of Thai curry pastes, I think they have great flavour.
it has been quiet here and I have been particularly quiet. With losing dad in May and mum having taking time to recover with Covid and me juggling working near full time for MenuAid as recipe editor, it has been a juggle.
I love doing what I do here but unfortunately there is no revenue to dedicate all my time to it.
I must photograph some new recipes though and it is on the plan for this week.
September 05, 2022 01:16AM
Helen, I for one would like to thank you for setting up these forums all those years ago, giving us a place to share not only recipes, but new ideas, and even personal snippets of our own lives in sharing our ups and downs, successes and failures. I'm sure we all understand how busy you are and let's face it, we all need an income! We love to see your occasional appearances here but I'm sure we all understand your time constraints and other responsibilities. So once again, a hearty THANK YOU.
September 05, 2022 03:59AM
Exactly the same as Lorna's post. A huge THANK YOU.
September 05, 2022 11:03AM
Thank you Lorna and Marnie, I will be back in more regularly, I have just have to get routines in place.
It is lovely to see you all here and the fact that it isn't financial isn't important, the community is.
September 06, 2022 08:56AM
Helen, I also second what Lorna has written it is a very addictive website! I hadn't heard of MenuAid, but what a great idea for busy people and working mums and dads. I can see just how busy your life is and having to learn to juggle working and family life around it! Great for people to learn to cook with good food instead of takeaways for convenience.
Best wishes,
Dawn.
September 07, 2022 01:21AM
I hadn’t heard of MenuAid either. Thanks for posting. I had a browse and have signed up for the free trial. Looking forward to checking this out more thoroughly. Great contributors.
September 07, 2022 09:59PM
Chris please let me know what you think of it. All feedback is appreciated.
September 11, 2022 08:18AM
I made the curry today and it was so tasty. I used really well trimmed chicken thighs, Ayam Thai Yellow Curry Paste and Gourmet Garden brand lemon grass. Because I had some left over roasted pumpkin, I cut that into cubes and added it right at the end to just reheat. There is plenty left over for another meal. I will definitely make this more often.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.