Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Finger Limes

Posted by Lyn V 
Finger Limes
March 28, 2023 04:51AM
We have been away for 2 1/2 months & my finger lime tree had a 2nd fruiting (we had one in June but very few) anyway they are all on the ground but the insides are still really good can anyone suggest what I could do with them. Some recipes I see are to grate the skins but that’s not possible. There are a lot & my DIL froze a lot. Thanks
Re: Finger Limes
April 04, 2023 11:21PM
Well I have been experimenting with my finger limes & they are great in the sauce of a curry, cake toppings, freeze the caviar pearls into cubes & pop into a drink to make it nice & refreshing especially a gin. On top of my fish & even into any sauce you might make with it. Very happy with all outcomes & whilst they are finished for the season I l feel prepared for the next onslaught as honestly there were so many I couldn’t give them away fast enough. Look on line for ideas as well. The ideas are endless.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2023 11:22PM by Lyn V.
April 07, 2023 12:51AM
How super Lyn V. Are yours all one colour or do different colours develop according to ripeness? I'm just a teeny bit envious, I can imagine the texture and burst of acidic freshness would be lovely in a light sauce over fish. I use capers but finger limes would be next level.
April 07, 2023 03:17AM
I’m envious too.

Are these available for purchase commercially? I realise they’re finished for the season but will keep an eye out next year if there is a supplier. Don’t remember seeing them in the supermarket.
April 11, 2023 03:50AM
Stephanie, mine are a deep green but do turn to a yellowish colour if left but the skin is softer & so couldn’t be grated. If you look on line you will see a curd can be made by grating the skin finely, the yellow isn’t so easy but the pearls are slightly sweeter. They freeze well but I think you can only use the pearls then.
I have never seen them in shops here they are an Australian fruit but there was a program on Country Calendar about them & they are being grown here now I think in the Hawks Bay Area. They have very extremely sharp prickles on them, quite lethal.
I have enjoyed growing them after taking 7 years to fruit you can imagine my excitement when I saw them flowering.
If anyone lived near me in Auckland Orewa I would be happy to share them.
April 12, 2023 12:30AM
Attended the recent Gin Festival in Auckland and a NZ grower was there. They do sell online in season and here is the link
April 14, 2023 06:43AM
Interesting things to put the pearls on, never thought of bunching them up, would certainly give the taste buds a pop.
I wonder how much they sell for?
April 14, 2023 10:55PM
If you like raw oysters Lyn, put a bunch on top of the oysters thumbs up
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.