Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Favourite sides ideas/recipes?

Posted by Lemonchoc 
Favourite sides ideas/recipes?
June 17, 2023 08:04AM
I really enjoyed reading through the Skinless Boneless Chicken recipe inspiration post. It's always great to get some new recipe ideas as I'm sure most of us need some inspiration on some days. That got me to thinking, sometimes we may have the main part of the meal sorted but sometimes if you're serving up a meal to others, it's hard to think of a nice side to put alongside the main, usually meat portion. It's also easy if there's rice/pasta as some simple steamed greens alongside is enough but what are your go to side recipes when you want to make the meal a little more interesting?
Re: Favourite sides ideas/recipes?
June 17, 2023 10:23AM
My favourite vege dishes depend on the season, but my standbys are:

1. Sautéed potatoes with garlic and tarragon butter
2. Blanched silver beet or spinach with lemon and olive oil or butter
3. Red capsicums, onion, garlic and eggplant braised with olive oil.
4. Roasted kumara

An easy way to perk up a vege side dish to to sprinkle it with toasted almonds, walnuts or pistachios.
June 18, 2023 06:20AM
I love Green Beans as a side. Lightly pan fry in oil with garlic, and then I add stock (I make my own stock from Vegeta) and lightly cook until the liquid has been absorbed. You can add other spices, such as Cumin if you want to mix it up.

Once I had an excess of Leeks, and sauteed them in oil. They were so yummy served with mash potatoes.
June 18, 2023 08:03AM
I love beans too Irene - himself not so much - and our son when he was little wasn't a fan of peas (despite the Green Drops from Greenland story that I used to trot out).

The upshot is that we learned to compromise and have peas and beans mixed together - with their different shapes and textures, it seemed to work. Our son has now left home, but the olds still continue the tradition, and I always serve them with roast lamb (his favourite) when he comes home.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
June 19, 2023 04:44AM
Dukkha is my friend and when I want to fancy veges up will sprinkle that or other seeds on top. I often mix peas,beans and edamane beans together. Also glaze the carrots with either honey or just brown sugar and butter. If doing a roast will cube pototoes, kumera, pumpkin etc together and mix them up in a dish. Just a bit better than all separated....makes a change.
June 22, 2023 04:01AM
I have copied out a recipe by Jan Billton for Corn and Chilli Bake. It makes a nice side dish to go with anything Tex Mex or similar but also is nice on its own with a salad. It comes out like a corn pudding texture rather than cornbread, is delicious and uses easy ingredients that I usually have to hand. If I have the Grand kids staying I just skip the chilli or use finely chopped red capsicum instead.

Corn and Chilli Bake

By: Jan Bilton
Great served at brunch, lunch or dinner.
Ingredients
1 large Chilli, seeded. Use up to 2
1 medium Onion, diced
1 Tbsp Canola oil
4 large Eggs
1 cup Sour cream
1 can Creamed corn, 410g (Main)
1 cup Grated tasty cheese

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Pour boiling water over the chillies. Stand for 30 seconds then drain well and chop.
3. Sauté the onion in the oil, until softened.
4. Beat the eggs and sour cream together, until smooth. Fold in the corn, chillies and
cheese. Pour into a 20cm baking dish.
5. Bake for about 40 minutes, until set and puffed and golden.
June 25, 2023 07:30AM
Thank you all for your ideas.
Danube, I'm going to try your recipe as a main :-)
June 27, 2023 03:11PM
Roasting vegetables brings out their natural sweetness and adds a delicious caramelized flavor. You can choose a variety of vegetables such as carrots, Brussels sprouts, sweet potatoes, or bell peppers. Additionally, squash and zucchini are fantastic options that beautifully complement the roasting process. Their vibrant colors and tender texture make them ideal candidates for creating mouthwatering roasted vegetable dishes.

To prepare a delightful squash and zucchini recipes, simply slice them into uniform pieces and combine them with the other vegetables. Toss the medley with olive oil, ensuring each piece is coated for even cooking. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, pepper, and a medley of aromatic herbs like rosemary and thyme to infuse the dish with irresistible flavors.

Once seasoned, spread the vegetables evenly on a baking sheet and roast them in a preheated oven until they become tender and develop a gorgeous golden hue. The roasting process intensifies their natural flavors, while the caramelization adds a hint of sweetness and depth to every bite.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2023 03:28PM by moses.chastain.
June 27, 2023 03:12PM
Look for cookbooks that focus on the science of cooking or explain techniques in detail. "The Food Lab" by J. Kenji López-Alt and "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" by Samin Nosrat are two popular choices that delve into the science and principles behind cooking.
December 26, 2023 08:13PM
I'm relatively new to this forum, and your post caught my eye because I've been on a mission to level up my side dish game. So, picture this: Last weekend, I decided to try something different. I was serving up some killer BBQ chicken, and instead of the usual suspects, I went for Korean Corn Dogs. Yep, you heard me right! Crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside – they were a game-changer. I found this super easy korean corn dog recipe online, and it was a hit with everyone at the table. It brought a whole new vibe to the meal. But, I'm always on the lookout for more ideas. What are your go-to sides that never fail to impress?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2023 02:47PM by kalineiskali.
December 30, 2023 05:55AM
These two go well with salads & they are always a hit. 1 450g can drained Sweetcorn, 450g tin well drained crushed pineapple & mix in well 150g sour cream (adjust to your taste). Put into dish & if you want sprinkle with a little coconut.
1 long telegraph cucumber peel alternately then slice down the middle scoop out the seeds then lay flat & do 2 nicks into on an angle then 3rd right through. (You have a slice with 2 nicks on an angle), mix 1/4 cup white sugar with 1/4 cup white vinegar & stir until sugar dissolves then grate in as much fresh ginger as you like I probably do about 1 tbs, mix altogether & add cucumber & leave at least 4 hours or overnight. Every now & again turn container upside down. Both especially the cucumber very popular.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.