Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

French Roast Chicken

Posted by Lyn V 
French Roast Chicken
December 05, 2023 10:42PM
On November 28 2017, under ‘new Christmas recipes’ that Heather F put in a recipe ‘French Roast Chicken ‘ I am struggling to find it, did anyone by any chance keep it please. It was a great topic from Helen I think asking if anyone had any different recipes to share, perhaps we could start another going.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2023 10:45PM by Lyn V.
Re: French Roast Chicken
December 05, 2023 11:54PM
Hello Lyn. Found it for you. Scoll through and you will see the recipe

[forum.foodlovers.co.nz]
December 07, 2023 04:27AM
Oh thanks Irene & happy Christmas to you & yours.
December 17, 2023 06:37AM
Thanks for posting the link, Irene. I had just about given up on being able to roast a tender and moist whole or butterflied chicken. Believe me, I have tried many recipes over the years. This was probably going to be my last shot at it but lo and behold - Success! I didn't have a dry white wine but a nice Pinot Gris and it worked well. The stuffing was so nice and not gluggy that I might double it next time and cook some in a separate dish. I didn't have room on my cook top for the roasting tin to make gravy so transferred the left-over juices (there wasn't much left) to a little pot, added another glug of Pinot Gris, some more water and thickened with cornstarch. So tasty. I used fresh thyme and French tarragon from my garden like Heather did. I was a bit timid with the tarragon but will increase to a heaped teaspoon next time. My chicken didn't brown that well and I increased the temperature to 170 degrees for the last half hour and gave it an extra 15 minutes before testing for doneness with a meat thermometer. There was a little bit of pink/reddish meat around the thigh bones when I carved the meat. I removed that to be on the safe side although I read somewhere that there can be reddishness although the meat is fully cooked. This will be Christmas lunch or dinner for the two of us. It was a bit time consuming today but I can prepare quite a bit the day before and have the butter/herb mix and stuffing ready in the fridge. I am so chuffed with the way this chicken turned out.
December 17, 2023 08:38AM
I make this [www.google.com] very often. It does tend to be a bit pinkish, so if that bothers you give it another 10 minutes. I use Bostock chickens exclusively, and people rave about this chicken. It does need proper French Tarragon, not what is currently being sold as "Tarragon", which is what was previously known as "Texas Tarragon", it's similar in flavour, but not the same, and the leave shape and texture and growth habit is very different.
December 17, 2023 09:56PM
I always use an oven bag for butterflied chicken. For roast chicken, I push butter between the skin and flesh. Both of these always seem to give lovely moist meat when using the oven. However, I recently purchased a Crockpot Express and find the pressure-cooking option also makes the meat tender and moist, and the machine has the browning option, so I do that first. Here is a the recipe

I found this Greek stuffed recipe on the Stuff website over the weekend - I won't be rushing to buy Poussins, but will definitely make the Greek stuffing and use it for one chicken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.