Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Braised Steak

Posted by Kathy 
Braised Steak
August 23, 2004 02:07AM
Does anyone out there have a recipe for good old fashioned braised steak. Mum used to make it - yummo - but unfortunately she is no longer with us.
Kathy
Re: Braised Steak
August 23, 2004 04:25AM
This is my mothers recipe and I make it all the time. Have passed it onto my daughters which they also use.

700g blade steak
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp mustard powder
1 tbsp worcestor sauce, tomato sauce, vinegar
1 cup water
1 cup beef stock
1 tsp salt and sugar
pinch baking soda.

Cut steak into portions and place in casserole dish.
Whick all other ingredients up and pour over steak
Bake 3 hours at 180C

I actually now do this in the pressure cooker but leave out the flour and only add 1 cup of water with a tsp of beef stock.
August 23, 2004 04:42AM
My mum does it with cross cut blade steak, this gives you little steak size pieces with a little bit of connective tissue in the centre which goes all nice and gooey with the long cooking. Coat the steaks in flour which has herbs, salt, pepper etc mixed into it and brown in a fry pan. Cut a couple of onions into rings and fry those too. Deglaze the pan with water, stock, beer, wine, whatever and cook the lot in a 160dc oven for a couple of hours. Mmmmmm. Mum always used to cook a rice pudding at the same time. Very tasty!!!
August 24, 2004 10:14AM
Noeleen- thanks for recipe - had it for dinner tonight and it was delicious!smiling smiley
August 24, 2004 03:32PM
Thanks Noeleen, made this last night - yummy. Even better this morning, left overs for breakfast. Kathy
August 24, 2004 03:33PM
Thanks for the recipe Debbie. Sounds just like Mum used to make, will be sure to try it out shortly. Kathy
August 24, 2004 11:23PM
Noeleen made your recipe last nite but used lamb chops, (freezer food find)! and as I had tamarind paste in fridge from Lynley's recipe put a little of that in too. Chops lovely and tender with a bit of a bite. Not a great lover of lamb, but really enjoyed it.
Carol
August 25, 2004 08:39AM
Further to Noeleen's casserole, or any other you can slice a french stick up, mix up a mixture of butter, mustard & herbs and 10-15 minutes before serving put buttered slices (butter side up) on the top, slightly pushing down so the bread soaks up a bit of gravy.

Regards
Sharon
Joy
August 25, 2004 11:32PM
Kathy here are a couple of my favourite steak recipes,not exactly braised,but nice and easy.

Steak and Sauce.
1lb braising steak.Rub both sides of steak with; 2 teasp mustard,2 teasp brown sugar.Put in oven proof dish and sprinkle with salt and pepper and 1 teasp flour.
Mix and pour over;1 tablesp tomato sauce,1 tablesp black sauce,1 tablesp vinegar.
Cover and bake in moderate oven 2 hours.

Steak Dish,
1lb steak, rub with garlic and cut into fine strips.Mix 2 teasp mustard,3 teasp cornflour and a little soya sauce,just enough to be able to coat the steak with the mixture.Marinade for 1/2 hour.Cook in a little oil in pan.Then add
1 onion sliced
1 green pepper seeded and sliced
6 mushrooms sliced.
Season to taste.
Cook gently till nearly cooked
Sauce;3 tablesp soya sauce,1/2 cup water 2 teasp brown sugar .Pour over steak and vegs stir well. Bring to the boil for a few min to finish the cooking.
Jennifer
August 26, 2004 12:10AM
Joy, please define "black sauce" a little more. Thanks.
Lyn
August 26, 2004 04:31AM
worcestershire sauce
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.