Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

mutton chops

Posted by IreneCollins 
mutton chops
January 27, 2005 06:34AM
These mutton chops I have a farm grown and the amount of fat and the size of them are completely different from the butchers or supermarkets .
How would you prepare mutton chops like these.
I can't crumb them I tired before with burn bread crumbs and raw meat
Help
Thanks Irene Collins
Re: mutton chops
January 27, 2005 08:07AM
Personally myself I'd bake them slowly in the oven either in a gravy or a tomato mixture with whatever you have available to add..... garlic, bacon, onion, peppers, whatever needs using up.

Regards
Sharon
January 27, 2005 08:12AM
Thanks Sharon
I will do this tomorrow night for tea.
irene
January 27, 2005 08:39AM
I did that tonight but with lamb shoulder chops which were on a good 'special'.

Trim as much of the fat off the chops as you can - then I browned them all on both sides in 1 tbs olive oil and put in a deep casserole dish - in the 'drippings' from the chops I sauteed a couple of large onions (cause we love them) until soft, sprinkled with flour and made a 'roux' then I added some home-made chicken stock I had and stirred until thickened. I had prepared 4 large ripe tomatoes (skinned and chopped with chopped fresh basil , oregano, mint and parsley from the garden) and added these to the thickened sauce along with strips of green capsicum - poured the lot over the chops and cooked very gently 160 degrees oven for two and a half hours. It was truly delicious served with some baby potatoes and stir-fried cabbage - made enough for two nights I thought but it was so tasty husband had two helpings so will be hard pressed to make another meal of it.

The secret is in the long slow cooking I think! The meat was gloriously tender and just fell off the bones. And you can throw in anything you fancy - I left out garlic because we are not overkeen on it :-o

January 27, 2005 10:34AM
Yes in a crockpot or casserole dish is the best, but cut off as much fat as possible.

Zeetra
January 27, 2005 12:15PM
I have an old recipe & it is quite tasty.

6 Chops ( trimmed)
2 Tlbsp flour 2 Tlbsp Brown Sugar
2 Tlbsp Vinegar 2 Tlbsp Tom. Sauce
1 Onion ( finely chopped) 1 tsp Curry Powder
1 tsp Mustard 1 tsp Ginger
1 - 2 tsp Soy Sauce 1 Cup Water

Mix all together and pour over chops & bake until cooked

U could also make Irish Stew with them. Trim as much fat off as u can, put in pot, just cover with water & bring to the boil. Boil for about five minutes & tip water off. Re cover with fresh water, cut up a couple of onions, place on top & cook until nearly done. Slice sweed & or carrots & place on top, then sliced potatoes, cook until vegs are tender then serve.
And of course usual seasonings to your taste are added during cooking.
:-o
January 27, 2005 08:27PM
And the tomato sauce is already IN the recipe hey Lynne - no need for anyone to add it afterwards :}

Just a gentle joke regarding the tomato sauce thread - please no-one take offence sad smiley

Joy
January 27, 2005 11:04PM
here is an easy recipe that I use for chops for a change.

Savoury Chops.

6 chops,trim excess fat off them

1/2 cup milk

bread crumbs

1 large finely chopped onion

good sprinkle of mixed herbs or fresh herbs

seasoning

Place chops in casserol dish,pour over the milk,season and herbs,then add the onion

Top with bread crumbs,enough to give a good cover.

Bake in a medium oven about 2 hours.
January 28, 2005 04:48AM
Remember, mutton is a lot tougher than lamb or hogget due to its age, so it'll take a lot longer to cook.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.