Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Cheese slicer

Posted by PennyG 
Cheese slicer
June 19, 2005 11:44PM
What does everyone else use to slice cheese? I have been using a plastic slicer with wires that I got from the supermarket. I like these slicers because you can cut thin or thick slices and it is wide enough for a 1kg block of cheese but my most recent one broke after only 1 month's use. Is there something better? I have a metal one with a slot in but that isn't wide enough.
Re: Cheese slicer
June 20, 2005 12:27AM
My sister in law gave my Mum an excellent one recently and I keep meaning to look for one for myself.
She suffers with dreadful arthritis and couldn't use those wire ones anymore.

The one she now has is the shape and size of a cake server - you know the triangle with a handle. In the middle of the triangle is an area cut out - the width of a 1kg block. It is very sharp and you just place it at the side of the block and pull it towards you. I had such fun cheese cutting last time I was at her place and vowed I would get one myself.

Apparently she found it at a specialty kitchen store in Wgtn - probably Moore Wilsons as I know she shops there a lot.

Good luck finding one
June 20, 2005 12:27AM
I have one of those wire ones from the supermarket, but find its only any good on colby cheese. Tasty is too hard for it.

Usually its just sliced with a knife, but you end up getting chunks, rather than slices so I'll be watching this post, with interest.

Linda.
June 20, 2005 12:38AM
I got one just as you described Raewyn, in Sweden of all places. The friends I were staying with had it, and I raved about it so much, they gave it too me. You must be able to get them here surely????????
Anne
June 20, 2005 02:08AM

I was given one of the ones descaribed by Raewyn by a friend when she visited Sweden over 40 years ago and it finally broke at the handle but have bought another two which are the same principle and very good. They have a black handle, the rest being stainless steel. From memory they were bought at a nationwide store which also sells clothing, but
isn't red.
June 20, 2005 06:02AM
I actually use a potato peeler! Gives nice thin slices/shavings.
June 21, 2005 07:53AM
Anne, do you mean the department store starting with F?
June 21, 2005 09:06AM
Those triangle slicers I have seen at Farmers Dept stores.
Also you can get ones that look like potato peelers but have a wide handle. Not sure where you get those from though.
Happy Slicinggrinning smiley
Anne
June 21, 2005 12:09PM

Yes Penny G. As mentioned on Summers reply Anne
June 22, 2005 08:27AM
Penny,
don't know where you are but you could try Millie's Kitchen I think they are are Karangahape Road it auckland. I am sure helen will be able to give you more details. they sell kitchen gadgets. I have seen one that you can adjust the thickness of the slice but I can't remember where.
Kay D
des
June 22, 2005 08:59AM
I bought the cheese slicer that Raewyn mentioned at the cheese shop at Mercer. I don't know if the shop is still there.
June 26, 2005 08:26AM
Hi to you all,

A huge variety of cheese slicers are available at the Windmill shops.
Pls. visit the website www.thewindmill.co.nz

These slicers are imported from the Netherlands.

Kind regards, Paul
June 26, 2005 08:48AM
I tried Farmers yesterday but although I managed to replace my dead scales (30% off!) the cheese slicers they had didn't have a big enough slit to cut slices from a 1kg block of cheese. I then tried the local kitchen shop and they had a very nice version of the wire type of slicer. It was metal and had screws to adjust the tightness of the wire and the wire could be replaced if it broke. Unfortunately it cost $42. I will need to do my sums and decide if it is worth it.
June 26, 2005 09:00AM
Paul, I tried the WIndmill site but couldn't see any mention of cheese slicers. Are they only available in the shops?
June 28, 2005 05:03AM
Hello everyone - looking for the best cheese slicers? I am the NZ importer of the Norwegian Bjorklund cheese slicer range - a cheese slicer for every kind of cheese and equally good at peeling and slicing vegetables. You will find them in any good kitchen shop - if not let me know - Bjorklund quality is so good that these slicers last for ever and are now being bought in second hand shops with a blade as sharp as the day they were made. or you can contact direct, Anna at Cuisine Accessory Company, PO Box 147 285 Ponsonby Auckland E anchar@icr.net.nz and T 09 377 2965,.
Webpage on its way ....
sue
June 29, 2005 12:34AM
Anna please let us know when and where the new web page is up and running
July 14, 2012 05:10AM
I have always bought the white plastic/wire sided cheese slicer & on retrospect all the money I have spent on them (they break constantly)
could have been spent on something of far better quality !!!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.