Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

fish recipes

Posted by Lorraine 
fish recipes
July 18, 2003 02:45AM
Wondering if there are any fish cooking experts - unless it's Atlantic Salmon I never seem to have much success. I am sure there must be simple ways to cook less expensive fish.
Re: fish recipes
July 18, 2003 03:24AM
Hi Lorraine.
Simple but tasty easy way of cooking any white fish, that we do for snapper especially. Heat pan until butter starts to melt, add mixed herbs, or ginger & garlic, add fish and pan fry gently turn fish turns white about 1/3rd of way through fillet. Turn over gently and fry. Or alternatively, you can poach it with herbs in white white. Only takes a few minutes. Its easy to turn fish if you have a larger fish slicer than an ordinary sized one. The fish doesnt break up.
Hope this helps
Helen Coveny-Bell
July 18, 2003 03:58AM
And egg and breadcrumbs is simple and good - and rather than frying you can lightly spray the prepared fillets with olive oil and grill them each side for a couple of minutes.
Currently I'm having a love affair with monkfish - it is firm-textured and doesn't break up. Cut into collops as if it was the tail of a crayfish, season with garlic salt and freshly ground pepper and sear briefly in pan (in mixture of oil and butter) at high heat. You can wrap it in bacon or prosciutto and roast in hot oven for 12-15 minutes.
Usually with fresh white fish the simpler the better as far as cooking is concerned.
Stephanie
July 18, 2003 04:51AM
I didn't make the above clear! Wrapping in bacon or prosciutto is an alternative to pan-frying. Sorry.
Stephanie.
July 18, 2003 10:01AM
We like 'meaty' fish, such as cod or bluenose. We treat them like steak - a well flavoured rub (preferably sprinkled with lemon juice first) then a hot pan or BBQ until it begins to flake. Yum!
July 18, 2003 12:46PM
An unusual but delicious way to cook monkfish or lemonfish is to cover with a little very finely chopped onion, sprinkle with lemon juice then cover with grated raw apple (granny smith is ideal - it must be a well-flavoured apple but not too sweet) then with chopped walnuts, and bake for about 20-30 mins or until the fish is tender. Let it stand for a few minutes before serving.
July 21, 2003 02:34AM
Popular with the children are individual parcels done in tinfoil or baking paper. Just put the fish on the paper, add a little fresh ginger, a little fresh garlic, lemon or lime zest plus a squeeze, freshly ground pepper, a little butter and parcel up. Bake at 180 - don't know how long for, just while the veges cook. I use this method with any variety of fish. Janet
Ann
July 22, 2003 10:54PM
This fish recipe is really tasty, and makes a nice change.
[ saute sliced onions in butter, in microwave as many as required]
Grease caserole and cover bottom with sliced onion. Then add layer of grated cheese then layer of fish fillets. Continue with layers of onion, cheese and fish. Make a white sauce and pour over. Sprinkle top with breadcrumbs and dot with butter. Bake approx. 1/2 hour or until cooked.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.