Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

TORTILLAS

Posted by Michele 
TORTILLAS
August 09, 2003 05:49AM
Does anyone have a recipe for tortillas or burritos.
Re: TORTILLAS
August 09, 2003 11:30AM
Try this one.
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup warm water
1 tsp sallt

Mix altogether and knead gently, now depending on how big you like your tortillas either divide into 6 or 8. Leave covered under wrap for approx 20 mins. Roll out and cook on hot frypan for approx a minute or two each side. When cooked make sure they are covered to keep soft.

My kids love these and would like them most nights and they are much nicer compared to bought ones and of course cheaper.
I have used self-raising flour and cold water, they get puffier and seem softer.

Kathryn
Suzie
Re: TORTILLAS
August 09, 2003 12:59PM
Once you have the tortillas sussed, burritos are easy.

You can really put just about anything in them. I usaually put in cheese, beans (either whole or refried), chopped cooked meat, chopped bell peppers and corn. Ohter good fillings include sour cream, and leftover rice. I tend to put the salsa on after I have cooked them, but some people put that inside too. They are a great way to use up leftover roast meat (inc. chicken).

Put the filling in a line just to the right of the center line of the tortilla. Fold the right side over the filling, then fold in the top and bottom end, then flip the filled bit over onto the rest of the tortilla. I usually heat them in the microwave, though a more "authentic" way would be to start with warm fillings and pop it on a griddle for a minute. YUM!
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.