Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Glace fruit

Posted by Cecilia 
Glace fruit
February 14, 2006 10:06PM
I know some people out there will be able to help. I have looked on many internet sites and they tend to have recipes for the skins only.

I am looking for a recipe which can glace whole fruit eg small mandarine or cumquat. Thank you for your information in advance.
Re: Glace fruit
February 15, 2006 02:32AM
Um, this might be of some help:
[www.recipesource.com]

[www.freerecipe.org]

February 15, 2006 02:47AM
Thank you Jennifer1. My concern is that the fruit has juice which would require some preservation. I have tasted whole glace mandarin served with blue cheese overseas and it was just superb.
February 16, 2006 04:06AM
I have candied kumquats but I didn't do them whole. FIrst I soaked them overnight in water with baking soda added (1/4c to 3c water) then I cut them in half (around the equator) and flicked out the seeds. The syrup was 1 part sugar to 3 parts water and when it was boiling I added the kumquats and simmered them for 10 minutes. Then you strain the syrup off and let it cool before pouring over the fruit again and standing 24 hrs. You then repeat the simmering, staining,cooling, standing process again. Finally you let the fruit drain and roll them in sugar.
February 16, 2006 04:43AM
Thank you PennyG. Why is the baking soda water added to the overnight soaking water?
February 16, 2006 08:07PM
Cecilia, I should imagine baking soda is added to soften the outer skin of the kumquat, which is quite tough. However, baking soda will rob the fruit of some of its nutrients, and for that reason it might be better soak in just water and to initially cook for a little longer than the recommended 10 minutes.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.