Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Slice recipes

Posted by Gail E 
Slice recipes
September 06, 2006 11:53AM
My daughter-in-law has been asked to produce a few trays of "different" slices, suitable for morning/afternoon tea at work. I have given her the recipes I use but they are all rather ordinary. I have suggested that she joins Foodlovers for some inspiration...hopefully she will.
In the meantime, has anyone got an unusual slice recipe that they wouldn't mind sharing please; we would be most grateful...thanks
Jan
Re: Slice recipes
September 07, 2006 11:42PM
I am finding that the good old faithful slice recipes still go down really well. I have recently made ginger crunch and doubled the topping and added some chopped crystallised ginger just before putting the topping on the base. The unbaked slices with biscuits and fruit have gone down well. I haven't made it yet but would like to try and make the chocolate fudge version, but instead of putting raisins or sultanas in it, use some chopped dried apricots with a little bit of finely chopped crystallised ginger also. I must have crystallised ginger on the brain at the moment!! Like I said I haven't made that one, but would like to give it a try some day soon.

Donna (Jan's sister)
September 08, 2006 12:07AM
Thanks for those suggestions Donna, I will pass them onto Nikki, they sound ideal!
Cheers Gail
Jan
September 08, 2006 06:39AM
Hi Gail

I was just talking to my sister and she said that she has a really good recipe for an unbaked slice that she is going to hunt out for me. I have just made some ginger crunch using the latest edmonds recipe book and the topping recipe gives 2 options, just for the basic topping or one for a more generous topping. Of course I went with the more generous topping. I'm sure my brother in-law will be the taste tester.

Donna (Jan's sister)
September 08, 2006 07:06AM
Back in 2004 Lynne2 posted a Lois Daish recipe , "Takaka Oaty Ginger Crunch". It's an easy one -pot recipe, just a bit different with the oats in the base. I have made this recipe many times, thanks to Lynne2.
September 08, 2006 08:05AM
That Takaka Oaty Ginger Crunch sounds wonderful..I'm going to make a tray tomorrow, myself. I'll give the recipes and ideas that you have given Donna and Lynne, I'm sure they will be just the ticket. Many thanks for your response!
Gail
September 08, 2006 09:18PM
I just found this ginger slice recipe with toasted pistachios included on the NZ Herald website - sounds yummy!!
[www.nzherald.co.nz]
September 10, 2006 05:03AM
Yesterday Mal and I enjoyed Donna's company on a train trip to National Park and back. Donna brought along a container of Ginger Crunch made with the recipe mentioned above. Throughout the day we did quality control tests and can say with authority that it was absolutely delicious. Donna kindly gave us several pieces to take home (which will not last long I assure you).

Thanks Donna, go to the top of the Ginger Crunch class!

Alison
September 10, 2006 11:30AM
Donna's Ginger Crunch is the best we have ever tasted, in our household! I made it on Saturday and there's not a piece left, so looks as though I'll be whipping up another batch this week. Thanks Donna and Jan - you are stars!
Gail
Jan
September 10, 2006 10:34PM
Hi Gail

Did you make the Takaka Oaty ginger crunch recipe? I haven't made that one yet, but would like to try it. The one I made for Saturday was a combination of the Julie LeClerc's ginger crunch base recipe and the good old edmonds ginger crunch topping with finely chopped crystallised ginger in for extra taste (using the generous size topping of course). I would like to try that Takaka Oaty ginger crunch recipe soon.

Donna (Jan's sister)
September 11, 2006 12:34AM
Hi Donna
No I haven't made the Takaka slice as yet, might look at doing that during the week when I get some time to myself. We have grandparents day at one of the grandchildrens school on Tuesday then I am looking after her 2 yr. old sister the following day AND Friday - that sets me thinking....maybe the little one can help me make the slice, it's never too early to teach them I guess, but can I hack the pace???
September 11, 2006 12:34AM
I made the Takaka GInger Crunch on Friday and it is good but you do need to double the icing.
September 11, 2006 01:58AM
I always love the slice that has biscuit base and then chocolate chips, peanuts, coconut etc... on top and covered with a can of condensed milk and baked.
I have seen it by so many different names and it is on the foodlovers recipe search as All Saints Slice.
September 11, 2006 08:01AM
The one you mention Helen is like the one they sell at Coffee Culture here in Chch but they put the All Saints mixture on a malt biscuit/butter base.

It is absolutely divine but has anyone else disected it to figure out how they make it??? I would be VERY interested.

Clare
September 11, 2006 09:44PM
Clare I use malt biscuits as well. Here is a link to the recipe. Zarbo also have one in their cookbook. They are all basically the same you just vary the topping as desired while keeping your ingredients at the same quantity so that the condensed milk sticks it all together.
[www.foodlovers.co.nz]
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.