Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

I forgot my eggs.......

Posted by beetle 
I forgot my eggs.......
November 20, 2006 07:50AM
sorta think this should be in chat but its about food?

I put some eggs on to hard boil for the kids sammies tomorow.........went off and got engrossed in the puter came back a long time later......eggs nearly no water and cooked well done.....the pot is none the worse for wear............they look fine and taste fine..............but was wondering if theres a point in egg cooking time that they would be beyond edibility?

im not sure how long i left them could be anything up to 1/2 hr......or more........they not hard...... but they not rubbery. they still yum...can ya tell i like eggs?grinning smiley

how many others have done this?
the brain remember bit isnt what it used to be................and the timer on the oven dont work...........and i forgot to set the cellphone.........but tis all good i didnt catch the house on fire and they still fine for sammies............
ham and egg sammies with lots of mayonaise just how the kids like em...........the things we mums do.

beetle

Im not trying to be difficult it just comes naturally.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2006 07:53AM by beetle.
Re: I forgot my eggs.......
November 20, 2006 08:10AM
Thanks Beetle for making me smile!!! smiling smiley
Had they run right out of water, you would probably be picking them off the ceiling!!! They can and do explode when the pot boils dry. Just a word of warning for next time.
Maybe you need a ringing timer for Christmas eh?
Kindest Regards,
Raewyn G
November 20, 2006 08:17AM
well it will have to be a loud loud loud ringer................. cos if not in the room and being hearing impaired makes life difficult......... and any other noise happening tends to block out things like that.such as tele, and stereo.........so carrying a cell phone with me is good.....with good sound and vibrate mode.........as usuall i didnt hear the pot bubbling. so entirely forgot i had put them on........

having one of those deaf, dumb, blonde days............. grinning smiley

but yeah made me giggle........and no i didnt know they would explode at all.
so saved by the something............. even tho i forgot them.

beetle

Im not trying to be difficult it just comes naturally.
November 20, 2006 10:24AM
you just so dont want to do that in the microwave beetle, they explode so bad and its a real pain trying to get all the little bits of egg out of the microwave sad smiley
does your cellphone have an alarm setting on it beetle so that you can set it for say 5 mins and have it vibrate when it goes off

Tessa....

"A computer and a cat are somewhat alike - they both purr, and spend a lot of the day motionless.
They also have secrets they don't share."

November 20, 2006 11:05AM
Just to add to the 'hard boiled egg' story.
Many years ago just prior to school finishing for the holidays I put eggs on to boil for the kids lunches next day. While waiting for them to come back to the boil I ducked into the lounge to watch Coro St and forgot about them. When I returned to the kitchen the Christmas streamers were hanging about a metre from the floor. The steam from the boiling pot had taken all the crinkle from the paper and they stretched. (Stop laughing) The eggs were burnt!!!!!!!! Shell and all. The smell wasn't flash either.
The streamers did eventually shrink back.

Cheers
Nellie
November 20, 2006 11:11AM
Oh Nellie - loved your story! I can just see it all unfolding...........
Regards,
Dawn.
November 20, 2006 07:05PM
Nellie, that is so funny!! The things Coro Street makes us do smiling smiley
Speaking of boiling eggs, what I have been doing is bringing the eggs to a rolling boil, covered. Once they start boiling, turn them off and leave them on the element with the lid on for at least 10 minutes - voila perfect boiled eggs!!
November 20, 2006 09:20PM
Irene - someone told me that too - bring them to the boil and leave for exactly 10 mins - I haven't tried it yet though. Did the yolks have a grey coating when you peeled them Beetle? They do that when you boil them too long. I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago - but I put them on to boil and then left them, didn't even turn them down to simmer before leaving the kitchen!! The windows were all steamy and the walls were dripping when I returned!!
Liza smiling smiley
November 20, 2006 09:37PM
Liza, I often forget to check them after the 10 minutes and once left them overnight and they were fine. White and not grey - I just find it easier to watch them come to the boil, and then turn off, and they are boiled. Of all places I found that tip, was in a diet recipe book - about the only helpful tip in the whole book smiling smileysmiling smiley
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.