Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Montana to NZ to.........

Montana to NZ to.........
November 28, 2011 07:29PM
My last trip to NZ was made successful in large part to this site. The people of Foodlovers really, really made it fun. This time, I get to show your country off to my wife, Leslyn.

So far this trip, we have landed in Aukland to a torrential downpour, but got right back on a jet and went right down to Christchurch. We spent a lovely three days in Akaroa, and the last two days in Timaru. And we sought out and successfully found Denheath Desserts and Lisa and Donald. I think Denheath custards may be a "World famouse product noted from New Zealand".

We are headed inland today for a few days fishing, a bit of a change in plans, as we were just going to head south more. We will make it south, but now it will be a roundabout way through Fairlie, Omarama, and Wanaka, etc.

No hurries, no worries, we have about 11 more weeks to see lots. Going up North the first part of January. We may see some of you, and watch out Irene, here we come.

I do usually wear an orange hat, cap, that says Montana on the front, so say hi if you see us at a market, or cuss at us if you see me driving in the wrong lane towards you.

Greg and Leslyn
Re: Montana to NZ to.........
November 28, 2011 08:22PM
Hi Greg and Leslyn,
do email when you are in the Auckland area as it would be lovely to meet you.
Helen
November 28, 2011 08:32PM
Hi Greg and Leslyn
Have sent you a PM.
Stephanie
Anonymous User
November 29, 2011 07:20AM
Hi Greg and Leslyn
Welcome back to NZ Greg, and welcome Leslyn! Hope you are enjoying our country. Darnit...I didnt realise you were in NZ, let alone Timaru, until Lisa called into the shop where I work yesterday, on her way down to Denheath to meet you.
The drive south along the main highway has many attractions, but personally I'm glad you're taking in some of the inland areas.
Hope you have a wonderful time, and please keep us posted.

Cheers
Paula
November 30, 2011 11:43PM
Great to hear about your adventures Greg! Do drop me a line if you are in the area (north of ChCh) so I can show off our wee farmlet.

When you are in the Wanaka/Queenstown area, go to Arrowtown, it's a lovely wee place. PuzzleWorld in Wanaka is worth a look too.

Have fun and keep in touch!

Louisa
December 01, 2011 10:31AM
I agree, Puzzle world is fun
December 01, 2011 07:49PM
ditto to Puzzle World -but ditto to every piece of the South Island. Looking forward to seeing Greg & Les up in this neck of the woods, but I am sure you will enjoy every moment no matter where in NZ you are. Keep posting where you are in your journey!
December 01, 2011 10:05PM
We just came back out to the coast, just a small loop inland and are now in Moeraki for a couple of nights. Had lunch with Fleur yesterday and desert with Denheath custards at our "Batch".
Les caught a nice trout just out of Omarama, went up to Mt. Cook but didn't have luck in the stream below there.
We did go out to the point here and met many penguins and many, many seals. We are now going to walk the beach to the boulders, and plan on being at the Farmers Market in Dunedin Saturday morning, eventually making our way to Bluff and Lands End.
Will keep posting if we aren't boring you all to death.
Greg
December 01, 2011 10:20PM
I don't find it boring it all. Love hearing where you have been/are going. I remember when we holidayed down there. So it brings back memories as well!!
December 02, 2011 10:39PM
I find reading of others experiences in NZ makes me ever so glad we came here 29 years ago.Thanks for your holiday'diary' keep it coming,not boring at all.
December 04, 2011 03:28AM
Greg and Leslyn, it was so so lovely to meet you both! I hope you are enjoying your trip and get to catch up with lots of other foodlovers in your journey.
Warm fuzzies
Lisa
December 05, 2011 10:16PM
We are now in Invercargill and have been here for 4 days. It really seems like a nice place to access a lot of areas of interest. We went out to Stewart Island for the day yesterday, visited Bluff and did some trekking around there two days ago, along with some fishing around Tuatapere and Otautau. Today it is up to Gore for a day of fishing and back into Invercargill for our last night here.
Going up towards Te Anau tomorrow, or somewhere around there. We'll decide where to stay when we get there.
Been getting into some fish, but I'm sure today will be the most productive yet (don't all fishermen feel that each day will be the best).
We did make the Farmers Market in Dunedin Saturday morning, and spent the rest of the day going through the Catlins and making our way here. Also lucked out and made the Invercargill Farmers Market Sunday morning, and loaded up with seafood.
Will post more later,
Greg
P.S. Leslyns most favorite expression this trip seems to be OMG. She is really impressed with everything.
December 06, 2011 05:12AM
Did you have time to visit the museum in Invercargill? I thought it was impressive for a small town (including an earthquake simulator from memory!). If he is still alive, they have a tuatara who became a first-time father at the age of 100.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2011 05:12AM by FarmAway.
J1
December 06, 2011 07:36AM
Greg, if you're going to the Coromandel peninsula (North Island, opposite Auckland sort of), and going near Coromandel town itself, do your best to ensure you go to Barry Brickell's Driving Creek Railway and take the train ride. It's an absolute marvel and not to be missed. Even the most jaded heart in the world will come out of the trip with a beaming smile. Try to get a booking for the train ride, once you have an idea of the date you'll be there (if you're going that way). [www.drivingcreekrailway.co.nz]
December 06, 2011 10:58PM
I agree with the Driving Creek Railway, we took Norwegian visitors and they were stunned at the views, at the scenery in and around the train and viewing hut at the top. If you are taking the trip right around Coromandel Peninsula, make low tide at Hot Water Beach - an amazing spectacle of sea rushing in and the ability to sit on the beach in a pool of HOT water and be cooled by the sea water. The amount of people that gather is astounding at times.
Safe travels and we may see you around the Coromandel.
Helen B.
December 10, 2011 09:51PM
Thanks for all the recommendations. We are jotting them all down. Left Te Anau yesterday after three days there. Really getting into the fish with a fly. Of course, we did a boat tour of Milford sound and Les was enthralled wit the display the dolphins put on for us. They cruised with us almost the whole trip. We are spendi three days here in Wanaka, then up the west coast for a few days before heading over to Hamner Springs.
Really, really having a good time.

Thanks again for all the tips.

Greg & Leslyn
Anonymous User
December 11, 2011 06:06AM
Its lovely to hear you're having a great time. I hope the West Coast weather is kind to you. I love Hamner Springs, and hope you do too.
Really enjoying your updates.
Happy travels!

Paula
December 11, 2011 06:16AM
Don't forget Punakaikai Rocks and if you can't get deep into Abel Tasman National Park, at least try and get to Kaiteriteri Beach. Where do you hope to spend Xmas Day?
December 11, 2011 07:02PM
Going to see the rocks in a few days. Christmas will be spent on the beach in Pohara Beach. Rented a beach hut from a Top Ten Holiday Park. Got something with a big trunk attached to it for you the other day Irene. Bet you and everyone else can guess what it is. Wanaka is real nice, went up to Mount Aspiring yesterday and did some fishing and sightseeing up there.
December 11, 2011 08:01PM
Someone carrying a large suitcase??????? smiling smiley You are naughty!! We are looking forward to meeting you both, it will be lovely. The Top Ten parks are great - both times we did South Island we opted for Top 10 ensuite cabins. Keep posting!!
December 14, 2011 10:45PM
We had our first day of rain yesterday, and I do mean rain. We are in Westport for a couple of days, and yesterday was the first drop of rain we have had since landing in Aukland Nov 24th, so no complaints here. And boy did it rain. It is clearing off today.
We got to the Glaciers on a very clear and sunny day, and hiked up to both of them. Sure glad we did it that day. Saw the pancake rocks in a downpour, but that just made the Tavern there with its wood stove that much nicer.
We went out to the Seal colony up here last night, then harvested a supper of mussels at low tide, even in the rain.
We are off to Hamner, then Kaikoura in the next few days, then further North on the South Island to round out the year.

Greg & Leslyn
December 20, 2011 09:45PM
Leslyn has been uploading pictures of our trip to our facebook page, which is Laurel Farmers Market . I will see if the link works here, if not, just search for Laurel Farmers Market.

[www.facebook.com]

Not ure if it comes through as a live link, but that is it.

Heading up for Nelson today.
Greg
J1
December 20, 2011 10:38PM
Thanks for the photos, Greg. Some fantastic ones, especially the one of Leslyn with the glacier ice.

If you enjoyed the lavender as per your pics, I'd recommend you take a ferry trip to Waiheke Island (35min trip from Auckland City) and visit Mudbrick vineyard [www.mudbrick.co.nz] . They have a GLORIOUS garden, including lavenders, a beautifully laid-out "kitchen garden" (vegetables) with the nicest little glasshouse. Great place to have lunch or dinner. Grab a tour of Waiheke Island at the same time.
December 30, 2011 10:00AM
We got to Wellington just before the big wet. Had a wonderful night at the Intercontental Hotel right in the center, just off the wharfs of the CBD. Had a great dinner at the Green Parrot, and woke up to RAIN. So we beat feet (drove) all the way to Napier, where we are right now, and ready to watch the sailboat races out our backyard. Going to the Hawks Bay Farmers Market in the morning. Really had a great meal at the Boat Ramp Club restaurant tonight. Rain, yes. Fun, more yes.
Greg & Leslyn
December 30, 2011 07:30PM
Love the photos Greg. Keep them coming!
December 30, 2011 09:46PM
Loving the photos, too. Sometimes we just need to see our own country through the eyes of visitors.
A shame about the rain, but hey, it's what makes things grow!
January 02, 2012 09:17PM
Wishing you a Happy New Year Greg and Leslyn. Hope you have managed to keep reasonably dry (on the outside smiling smiley, but had a wee drop on the inside for New Year grinning smiley) and that the sun begins to shine for you on the rest of your travels.
Anonymous User
January 03, 2012 07:18AM
Loving the photos on Facebook. You two look so happy and relaxed. Its great to see you enjoying our country.
All the best for 2012

Paula
January 07, 2012 07:50AM
We are ducking in and out of some rain, but the weather has been mostly fine. We left Hawkes Bay after some great days there, and went through Taupo, stayed a night in Ohakune, then to Wanganui for a couple of days, up to New Plymouth for a night, and are now in Turangi for 4 or 5 nights of fishing the rivers around Lake Taupo. Really like this fishing Lodge called the Creel, in Turangi. Now only have to make sure the fish are hungry for flys (Flies?).
Les will post more photos soon.

Greg
January 07, 2012 10:38PM
My fingers are tightly crossed that the weather improves for you. Keep posting the photos, am loving following your travels! Look forward to seeing you soon.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.