Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Brisbane trip

Posted by DK 
DK
Brisbane trip
April 14, 2018 11:12PM
I'm planning a city stay in Brisbane in the middle of the year. Does anyone have any recommendations for fabulous places to eat? Any must-do foodie things?

I'm not going to be there over a weekend so will miss most of the good markets, but am keen on any kitchenware shops or food tours.
Re: Brisbane trip
April 16, 2018 06:32AM
I don't have any specific recommendations, but one thing I noticed when I was there a couple of years ago in the winter was how many restaurants were pretty much open to the air all year round and consequently, how bloody cold they were! We ended up eating at a Coffee Club one day simply because it was one of the only places with four wallssmiling smiley. So I suggest before you settle on anywhere check them out on Google Street View to see if you will effectively be sitting outside. Oh yes, one place I can recommend is the café at the Art Gallery - if it's not too cold you can sit outside right by the river (ibises were wandering around) and the food was lovely.
April 16, 2018 11:37PM
I've been to Brisbane twice and the first time was before the big re-development of South Bank. Now I know this isn't going to be too helpful to you, but at that time they had open-air restaurants on the river-beach, and one, a Greek restaurant, had the most divine mezze dish I have ever had. I went back repeatedly to eat there just because the food was so good.

Now that most of the restaurants have been relegated to one street it's not so appealing to me. However, the restaurants on the beach side of the street have dual entrances, one from the river side and one from the street side. In this 'street of restaurants' you should find something to suit you, and South Bank is so interesting, you could spend quite a bit of time over there and not get bored.

Here's a google maps link showing restaurants in the area, and the 'street of restaurants' mentioned above.
[www.google.co.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2018 11:44PM by Lorna.
April 17, 2018 01:18AM
I can't think of any interesting food destinations in Brisbane, but if you are interested in art or in architecture don't miss GOMA, a wonderful building with an interesting permanent collection as well as visiting exhibitions.

[www.qagoma.qld.gov.au]

The last time we were in Brisbane in July it was surprisingly hot, 29 - 31 degrees C and sunny, so take some light clothes just in case.
April 17, 2018 01:26AM
If you are staying downtown, there is a food market in Queen Street Mall on Wednesday morning that is worth a visit.

And there are a number of really good restaurants on Eagle Street Pier but they're not cheap. Depends what sort of dining experience you are after.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.