Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Refridgerator Slices

Posted by Plates 
Refridgerator Slices
June 09, 2019 01:08AM
I have making these a lot, and everything is fine except when refrigerating, the sugar sinks to the bottom.

If you melt chocolate for instance, does the chocolate have to be certain temperature for the sugar to dissolve?

Welcome any suggestions
Re: Refridgerator Slices
June 09, 2019 01:10AM
I think you'd better give us your recipe, otherwise it's hard to advise.
June 09, 2019 08:25AM
its something like this, but I use a lot more ghee.

[www.tarladalal.com]

Yesterday, I melted 250 grams of raw cocoa butter, added 30 grams of sugar, and 50 grams of clarified butter with some vanilla essence......the sugar doesnt dissolve. As it hardened back to a white choc state but was still soft, I remixed it and then put it in a dish, which made it work, but is a bit frustrating.

I want to understand how to both recipes, but the sugar dissolves.

Sorry about this being in the wrong forum
June 09, 2019 08:46AM
Sorry, I have no experience of making this kind of sweet. I do note though that in the recipe given in that link the sugar is made into a syrup with water. If you overcook the syrup the sugar might crystallise and separate out.

Sugar won't readily dissolve in fat: in cakes where the butter and sugar are creamed together the sugar eventually dissolves in the water content of the butter. If you are using ghee, which has no water content, I don't think the sugar will dissolve.
June 09, 2019 10:39AM
Thanks

I suspected that it was sugar science thing, but I couldnt work out I never had the issue before with more typical baking.

Might try using some butter for the purpose of dissolving the sugar, and then giving them a go.
June 18, 2019 03:48AM
I'm trying to understand the recipe and just don't understand the handling of the sugar.
I've always thought that you don't stir sugar syrups at all and leave them to do their thing to avoid them being gritty.
June 22, 2019 07:43AM
I wasnt following that recipe exactly, I was more doing what Mum does at home and generally trying to make things for work that have more fat and less flour, so doing my own concoctions which were going well except for the sugar.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.