Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Induction cooktop recommendations

Posted by mantilla 
Induction cooktop recommendations
September 06, 2019 11:45AM
We are in the very beginning process of planning an upgrade to our kitchen & are considering an induction cooktop to replace the ceramic cooktop.
I have read about checking the wiring for the increased volume of power needed to support induction cooking, & we also like the idea of ensuring a bridging element or 2, so a larger dish can be used on the cooktop across the elements.

I am not sure though if others like the controls being at the front (near the benchtop edge) or on the side - I guess this would be important for those with kiddies about - that we dont have any more, but from a safety perspective is this something to be considered.
The Google searches I have made seem to becoming more & more confusing, & searches on here show that the last info about induction cooktops was at least 12 months ago.
So, am I allowed to ask other FL if they have a particular brand they like or would recommend?
We are not necessarily using the same brand for all of the different appliances we are replacing - I have used a Westinghouse 1 1/2 wall oven before & liked it & think we will get one of those again.
But the inductions seem an unknown quantity in that I have never cooked with one nor know anyone (closely) that has one.
All & any comments appreciated - my DH is not a handyman & isnt really bothered about the little details so its me coordinating the ideas of new appliances; tiles - or splashbacks; colours, flooring; lighting etc, to then show him & make the decisions. smiling smiley
Re: Induction cooktop recommendations
September 07, 2019 02:57AM
I moved to a new house where an F&P induction cooktop was installed. I thoroughly read the instruction manual which I did find very helpful. And if replacing cookware for stove top most appliances show the symbol for induction friendly. It may help to go to an appliance store while you are researching and ask to see the manual. I am enjoying using mine, have never been a gas user. My controls are at the front edge, but it would not be that easy for a small human to turn an element on. I went with F&P as it is easy to get their appliances serviced, parts etc and their website is handy for queries.
September 07, 2019 04:21AM
I have had a Bosch induction cooktop for 9 years now (feels like it was only yesterday). Have been very happy with it but... I wish the controls were at the side instead of at the front. There are no knobs or anything, but if you happen to put a pan on the controls, the cooktop has a near nervous breakdown, 4 EE messages for each hotplate and beeps galore. And guess who has a husband that does this alot!!

The other thing to be aware of is your choice of saucepans etc etc. When I go shopping for new pots and pans, I take a magnet with me. If the magnet sticks to the bottom of the pots and pans, it is all good to go for an induction cooktop. If it doesn't stick - do not purchase. I found the magnet test great when I was working out which pans to toss and what to keep. I am finding now a lot of pots and pans will now say if they are suitable for an induction cooktop.
September 09, 2019 11:11AM
thanks for your comments Annie & Irene - shall keep this in mind when we start the appliance looking/shopping. We have owned a Bosch washing machine before so good to hear they are reliable for you Irene.
Yes I have read about the saucepans needing to be suited for the induction cooktop - might be time for an upgrade of those too, some of them are from my flatting days a (very) long time ago when at University.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.