Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Barbecue Accessories

Posted by Chris 
Barbecue Accessories
September 12, 2019 03:20AM
After not having had a bbq for 10 years we decided to buy a Baby Q Weber with a thermostat. I have got a brochure that lists all the accessories and I was wondering if you have any suggestions for the ‘must haves’. I would be grilling chicken sausages, chicken, fish and vegetables. Is a rotisserie recommended? Looking forward to your views.
Unlike Auckland, the evenings are rather cool here and we just never bothered replacing our bbq. However, with the possibility of a major earthquake at some stage we thought we’d better get our act together.
Re: Barbecue Accessories
September 12, 2019 04:05AM
We have a Q2000, which I think is a little bigger than the Baby Q. The only accessories I use regularly are the foil convection trays, which I use for roasting spatchcocked chicken, butterflied lamb leg and pickled pork. Otherwise I grill steaks directly on the bars of the grill plate.
September 20, 2019 01:32AM
I have a webber Q too - I wouldnt buy ANY Webber accessories - I dont think you need them.

I buy the fat trays from K-Mart and use regular utensils and trays if Im cooking a chicken ect. Sometimes I use the throwaway tinfoil type trays.
Vanessa
September 20, 2019 01:47AM
Vanessa45 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a webber Q too - I wouldnt buy ANY Webber
> accessories - I dont think you need them.
>
> I buy the fat trays from K-Mart and use regular
> utensils and trays if Im cooking a chicken ect.
> Sometimes I use the throwaway tinfoil type trays.
>
> Vanessa
Thanks Vanessa. I thought of getting the flat tray to use for fish. Will check out K Mart for trays next time I am un Queenstown.
September 20, 2019 06:20AM
Oh yes maybe that would be a good idea (fish tray)
The Webber stuff is expensive and in my opinion, not needed. Ive even tried the pizza stone but prefer my pizzas in my oven on a regular dish - just as good and you dont need to heat them up.
Vanessa
September 20, 2019 08:28AM
I am getting just the smallest of their bbqs and I don’t think my pizza stone would fit. I am certainly not buying one. Oven will be fine.
September 21, 2019 11:13PM
I longed for a pizza stone but could never find one that would fit in my little Breville Bench Top Oven. But when I had to replace the oven, it came with a pizza tray, one of those black non-stick ones riddled with holes. It's marvelous. I pop it in the oven while it's coming up to temp then slide my pizza onto it. Lovely crisp pizza, edges and bottom.
September 21, 2019 11:45PM
Lorna Wrote:
> I longed for a pizza stone but could never find
> one that would fit in my little Breville Bench Top
> Oven. But when I had to replace the oven, it came
> with a pizza tray, one of those black non-stick
> ones riddled with holes. It's marvelous. I pop
> it in the oven while it's coming up to temp then
> slide my pizza onto it. Lovely crisp pizza, edges
> and bottom.

Thank you, Lorna. I had one of those many years ago. Will have to do some measuring.
September 23, 2019 12:10AM
Chris, the pizza tray I have measures 30cm in diameter. It has a very low ridge around the edge, about 2mm, making it easy to just slightly lift the edge of the pizza with the tip of a knife and slide it off onto a cutting board.

I had a quick look online and the size of 30cm seems to be hard to find; most were round about 33cm which wouldn't fit in my oven. Also, they all seem to be deeper than mine, at about 1.5cm. There are plenty of the right size without the holes and they, too, are1.5cm deep, but I think the holes ensure the whole base is crispy, not just the edges. The closest I could find were on TradeMe and also a different brand (Kate's Kitchen) at Mitre 10, both around the same price but, of course, the TradeMe one would have postage added unless you could pick up in Waitakere.

[www.mitre10.co.nz]
[trademe.nz]
September 23, 2019 04:34AM
Lorna Wrote:
> Chris, the pizza tray I have measures 30cm in
> diameter. It has a very low ridge around the edge,
> about 2mm, making it easy to just slightly lift
> the edge of the pizza with the tip of a knife and
> slide it off onto a cutting board.
>
> I had a quick look online and the size of 30cm
> seems to be hard to find; most were round about
> 33cm which wouldn't fit in my oven. Also, they all
> seem to be deeper than mine, at about 1.5cm.
> There are plenty of the right size without the
> holes and they, too, are1.5cm deep, but I think
> the holes ensure the whole base is crispy, not
> just the edges. The closest I could find were on
> TradeMe and also a different brand (Kate's
> Kitchen) at Mitre 10, both around the same price
> but, of course, the TradeMe one would have postage
> added unless you could pick up in Waitakere.
>
> [www.mitre10.co.nz]
> -crisper-pan-h-15mm-w-300mm-d-300mm-platinum/p/300
> 725
> [trademe.nz]
> /pots-pans-bakeware/baking-tins-trays/listing/2317
> 761606

Thank you so much Lorna for having done all this research. I have a Mitre 10 close by and they have a pretty good selection of bakeware most times. Much appreciated.thumbs up
October 18, 2019 09:54PM
Don't get a wire brush, the little bristles can fall off and end up on your food. Use aluminum foil or a wooden scraper to clean off your grates. As for a chimney, the weber ones last forever.

As far as accessories, it really depends what you're trying to do, but everyone needs to own a instant digital thermometer sych as https://onplanners.com/template/simple-monthly-budget-template

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2019 08:50AM by stream26.
October 18, 2019 10:02PM
Thank you for your advice re the wire brush. I am also a great believer in using a thermometer when judging if my chicken is done. It has been a good investment. I also use it to test the internal temperature when baking sourdough bread.
October 18, 2019 10:47PM
My digital thermometer is in constant use, testing a rotisserie chicken for doneness, making sure the water for my yoghurt is within the optimum parameters, and cheesemaking. If I could justify spending the required amount to buy a roast of pork, beef or lamb, no doubt it would be used then, too.
Anonymous User
March 18, 2020 12:24PM
I'm planning to buy a new traeger grill for my backyard, and I've found a good source with the description of different options of such grills. But I'm still not completely sure which one is better for me. I've narrowed the circle up to Traeger TFB42LZBC and Traeger TFB30LZB. The last one I like because of its price, but I'm not sure if it's good enough. What do you think, guys? Did you have any experience with any of these models? May you tell me their advantages in usage?
March 18, 2020 11:05PM
I've never heard of this brand before but it is apparantly available in NZ. Sorry, can't be of any further help to you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.