Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Private Hospital food - or not

Posted by helen 
Private Hospital food - or not
November 13, 2019 05:01AM
My husband had day surgery last week and again today, for ear issues.
The surgery was 2 hours and required him to have general anaesthetic and a few hours post surgery in hospital.
It is a private Southern Cross hospital.
Last week I picked him up at 6pm and he had been nil by mouth since 6.30am that day. He came home ravenous.
Post surgery he wasn't offered a cup of tea or any food.
Today I sent him with a lunch box and he enjoyed his egg and rocket sandwiches for lunch with fruit and a couple of biscuits.
They did offer him a cup of tea.
I am really surprised that sandwiches and a hot drink are not instantly offered once a patient wakes up.
It wasn't to do with his procedure, they just didn't offer it.
We seem to be cutting so many corners these days and some of them take out feel good factor.
His surgery was $13,000 each time. Surely some food could fit into that budget.
Any thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2019 05:02AM by helen.
Re: Private Hospital food - or not
November 13, 2019 05:09AM
OMG Helen, I was in for day surgery once in September and again at the end of October. Both times this year. Here in Hamilton it is called Braemar Hospital. When you are taken back to your cubicle they always provide a drink of your choice, club sandwiches and a muffin after initially checking your dietary requirements, if any. At the October surgery I was last cab off the rank that day, and the nurse was so apologetic as there were only sweet muffins left so I had one and no hot drinks either, (I had no food from the night before and no water from 2pm) but I was able to have a juice. She wouldn't stop apologizing to me, and I told her there was much more to be upset about then them not providing the standard fare.

For the price you pay, what Ed encountered is disgusting!
November 13, 2019 05:10AM
How odd -- I've had a few day stay procedures at the Southern Cross North Shore hospital on Wairau Rd, and I've always been offered tea and sandwiches as soon as I've been moved out of recovery. Perhaps consider writing to the manager of the particular hospital? I agree it seems strange, and not exactly beneficial to the patient.
November 13, 2019 05:42AM
I was cautioned that eating after surgery can cause vomitting.....I ate, and then vomitted.
November 13, 2019 06:31AM
Some years ago I had a major operation at a Southern Cross Hospital in HB & had been initially delighted with the menu options. Unfortunately I was too unwell in the immediate post-op days to enjoy these without being nauseous, but I do remember enjoying some cauliflower & blue cheese soup on my last day just before I was discharged.
More surgery recently with 2 nights in hospital, I was just feeling very unwell & can only recall eating bits of toast - at the same same hospital. Not the hospitals fault I know, but cannot recall many options offered other than the toast.

I am now a volunteer for Red Cross & recently transported a client who said the (Hcool smiley private hospital meals were delightful, small triangle sandwiches when they first woke from surgery several weeks ago.

Poor Ed - I agree with the $$$ being spent, it should go without saying that a meal of some sorts is at least offered.
November 13, 2019 09:08AM
He was in Gillies Ave hospital and there was no mention of needing to be cautious with eating but no food was offered.
And it happened twice although to be fair they could have seen his lunch box this time and so assumed he was fine.
I walked through the ward and saw indpendent tea and coffee making station but no sign of anything to eat.
A friend of mine is a nurse a clinic nearby and they have a toasted sandwich maker so they can make patients toasted sandwiches on demand.
November 13, 2019 10:00AM
I fee sorry for your husband, Helen. It shouldn't be like it was for him.

I was in Southern Cross hospital in Rotorua three months ago and I was well looked after even outside of their normal meal times. I would have thought they would have had some sort of standard for any of their hospitals, regardless of location. Your husband may possibly be sent a questionaire soon. That would be a good time to draw this to their attention.

A while ago at Waikato Hospital, a public hospital; after day surgery, the nurse brought me sandwiches and a drink. Best sandwiches I ever enjoyed. I was ravenous.
November 13, 2019 09:13PM
That certainly seems most odd - almost like an oversight. I would definitely be following up and asking some questions if I were you, Helen.

My brother recently had surgery at Marinoto Clinic in Dunedin which is a Mercy Hospital. They pride themselves on being the only private hospital in NZ with an 'on demand' room service. You can order anything you like from the menu from 7am - 7pm and they deliver it freshly made. They have an all-day breakfast and hot meals from 11am. My brother said it was excellent.

Their advertising material says that not only is food an important part of recovery from surgery, but this system caters for varying appetites and reduces waste. Makes good sense to me.

Regards,

Barbara Anne
November 14, 2019 12:48AM
I had a procedure a few weeks ago (and could not eat the day before) in a private hospital and in the forms beforehand it asked about dietary needs so I stated I was vegetarian.

Afterwards they gave me a club sandwich which was clearly marked as ham so I advised again that I was vegetarian. The nurse then produced a club sandwich labelled as vegetarian. I took a bite to discover that it also contained ham!!! She said she would give feedback to the food suppliers but I got the feeling that probably wouldn't happen. I was really nice about it but quietly thought it wasn't really good enough.

Helen, I would be sending an email with your thoughts on the matter.

Twice Cooked
[www.twicecooked.co.nz]
November 14, 2019 03:52AM
Not good enough Helen. I had much better service at our public hospital for 1/2 day surgery.
Southern Cross not scared of charging big fees!!!!!
November 14, 2019 05:11AM
The hospital phoned Ed today to ask how he was feeling and also for any feedback so he did tell them that it was disappointing not to be offered food and on day 1 a cup of tea.
The person on the phone was suitably apologetic....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.