Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

An outing with Miss Molly

Posted by Ali W 
An outing with Miss Molly
November 17, 2019 05:55AM
Today we took Miss Molly - our cute wee Morris Minor over the hills and up to Karapiro which is near Cambridge. There was a swap meet going - funny that most of our club outings are for “boys” interests.

We didn’t realise there was a rowing regatta taking place also so it was pretty jamb packed. Hubby perused the junk (oops treasures) while I sat on my chair enjoying the passing parade of people, boats and the occasional animal. It was thoroughly pleasant made even better when hubby returned with nothing but a coffee each. Up went his chair and we sat there just enjoying the whole experience.

It’s taken a lot of years to realise that just being with each other and our friends, a lovely view and a good coffee is a pretty darn good day out.
Re: An outing with Miss Molly
November 17, 2019 06:09AM
Very good Ali, you do have a fun life and you make things happen.
November 17, 2019 08:00AM
Yes you do Ali. You have the rare ability to turn lemons into lemonade and even champagne. My most memorable experiences revolve around a thermos of tea somewhere in the wap waps or a deserted beach, and ginger crunch slice - from way way back in my youth, continued into occasional forays into older age. Nothing beats a good ginger crunch and cup of proper tea-pot tea with a dash of proper milk.
November 17, 2019 08:28AM
Oh Kone - that did make me smile - how about sitting on a beach (remember when we could sit cross legged!) and your sandwich, or ginger crunch or proper cup of tea suffered the consequences of wind and loose sand!

Somehow your thermos of tea made me think of those Ministry of Works chaps who boiled up a Thermette on the side of the road. The little rings of burnt grass were reminders of where they had been.

Happy memories of when life was less complicated.
November 17, 2019 11:08PM
I do vaguely remember sitting cross legged. Even a half Lotus. Now it's legs straight out in front with a solid bit of padding behind me. Maybe if I hadn't been up to my ears in sports my knees would still remember how to do the crossed thing. sad smiley
November 18, 2019 12:23AM
We must do it occasionally. Many years ago my partner liked the idea of picnicking enough to equip us with the rug; the fitted basket; the thermopolae (my plural of thermos) and so on. The actual picnicking was not so well received. Now if I tempted him with chicken sandwiches and ginger crunch ...hmmmmm?
November 18, 2019 01:33AM
It sounds like a lovely day, Ali. Love the name of Miss Molly, too.
November 18, 2019 03:03AM
Thank you for making me smile.......
I needed this today
Raewyn G
November 18, 2019 03:37AM
Oh I was there too!
Not for the swap meet but at the rowing regatta.
I love our weekends in Cambridge/karapiro, it is such a lovely part of NZ.
We could have had a coffee together!
November 18, 2019 04:45AM
Oh Helen, if only we had both known!

You must be one of the mother’s I admired as they were in and out of the trailers getting chilly bins and reassuring the teens, finding this and that etc. It ran through my mind how different things are now at school. Our children never had the opportunity to partake in many sports, and rowing would have been far from anyone's mind.

How well rounded those young ones will be with all those opportunities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2019 11:11AM by Ali W.
November 18, 2019 06:43AM
People watching is one of my favourite pastimes, doesn't cost anything and it can be done anywhere. Even better with a cuppa.
November 18, 2019 08:11PM
Ali it would have been lovely to meet up with you. If you head that way again on a rowing weekend then do let me know.
The cafe Podium at Karapiro is one of my highlights of the rowing season. Great coffee and food.
Rowing is all consuming but I love it. It keep the kids busy, tired and I know where they are at night - sleeping. haha.
November 18, 2019 09:26PM
Sounds like a perfect day... smiling smiley smiling smiley
November 19, 2019 12:02AM
I have my own little place of perfect peace right here in Whitianga. We have a Subway and I'll often pick up lunch there and wander down the road and round the corner. There's a little park on the banks of the estuary beside the marina with all her yachts and cruisers rocking on the wavelets, waiting for action. I don't even have to sit on the grass to eat lunch, there are two or three tables with seats where I can sit comfortably, watch the herons feeding on the bank and shoo away the seagulls in favour of sharing my lunch with the little sparrows and finches, etc. I'll sometimes even allow a friend to join me!
November 19, 2019 05:00AM
Lorna, how lovely, and the view would be ever changing! I wish I could be your friend and come too.
November 19, 2019 09:19AM
My idea of heaven Lorna!
I was down at a seaside town at the w/e (Victor Harbor), and saw a park bench facing the beach with "I'm happy to talk" in large letters on the back. I guess if you want to chat you sit there, and if not, then sit on an unmarked one. A good idea I thought.
November 19, 2019 10:04PM
Thank you, Ali, you can be my friend and visit any time you like. There are so many beautiful little spots like that, I'm spoilt for choice. I can even pick up a tasty lunch from one of the many cafés we have here and drive to some other beauty spot, just for a change. I suppose the whole of NZ is like that, really - many hidden gems to visit, even if only for an hour for summer lunch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.