Foodlovers Foodtalk Forum

Reactions after shock

Posted by Ali W 
Reactions after shock
December 04, 2019 08:38PM
After the experience I had yesterday with my husband's phone sending the emergency text, it was interesting how my body reacted.

Even when I knew all was well it took several hours to “come down”. I check our bank account every morning - but could not remember my access number no matter how hard I tried. Can't remember much of the drive to work. Felt restless and unable to concentrate. Wanted coffee with sugar (I never have sugar) and I needed to tell everyone about what had happened. Then I felt really, really tired.

I can’t imagine what people go through who have major trauma and what it does to their bodies.
J1
Re: Reactions after shock
December 04, 2019 10:20PM
I've noticed with past traumas I've had, you think you're thinking clearly at the time but, when looking back, you can see all the illogical decisions you made during that time and wonder what on earth you were thinking......
December 05, 2019 09:38AM
Hi Ji & Ali - yes I agree!
December 06, 2019 02:15AM
Indeed. The only time I've had to call an ambulance for one of my children (3yo vomiting frank blood after a tonsillectomy) I couldn't remember our address. At all. All I could say was "uh, uh...". Then I proceeded to totally forget about the existence of my younger son (~18mo at the time) as I got into the ambulance. Thankfully a neighbour was able to look after him.

What is interesting, and frankly, thoroughly depressing, is that is how many people like myself, who have moderate-severe anxiety problems often have to live like that on a daily basis. That level of adrenaline and panic is normal 24x7 when I'm having a hard time - which can last for many months sometimes - and it is exhausting and debilitating and 100% gets in the way of living any kind of life. I'm sure the recurrent overload of stress hormones is doing not so lovely things to my adrenal glands and other body systems.
December 06, 2019 03:44AM
So sorry to hear you're living with this, Jenna. With both chronic events (recovering from divorce) and acute ones (serious accident to family member) I've been shocked at the level of fatigue stress brings on, unlike any other kind of tiredness. Having that on a daily basis must be incredibly wearing.
December 06, 2019 04:47AM
I too am sorry to hear that Jenna. I also hope that you have a good support network of just the right people to be there for you. Being a mum has both its joys and stresses, especially with little ones always on the go.

It probably doesn’t help when people who have no idea offer their advice.

Thanks for sharing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Copyright Foodlovers. All rights reserved.